The art of the deal.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoothgeye

I build stuff.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'm sure you have your own stories about great deals, what I'm looking for are stories from people who you dealt with who didn't quite understand how to get a deal. This is my story from last week.

We have a local sales page on Facebook, works much better than CL locally. A guy posted a photo of a digital camera, still with protective film over the LCD screen, it's a camera I wanted a few years back, new it was around $270.

I sent the guy an inbox message:

Me: "How much for the Samsung Digital camera? How many megapixel and what is the optical zoom? Thanks."

Him: "Id like to get 100 but its negotionable...an its 12.2 megapixel with 6.3-18.9mm zoom"

Me: "I don't wanna sound like a jerk, and I hope you sell it, I only know because I wanted one of these when they first came out (and they have really good reviews) but they've been selling them new online for under $80. Just a heads up. Good luck with the sale."

Him: "Make a offer an its practically brand new"

Me: "I don't want to insult, I was looking at spending no more than $50."

Him: "I would do 50 no lower than 45 tho"

Me: "I would like to get it for $45, time and place?"

Anyone see what just happened there? I was totally expecting him to come back with $60 or $70 but instead he went down.

I picked up the camera that afternoon and it's a great camera, quite an upgrade for me.

some folks get really nervous dealing- it's weird.

you can bet the local car dealers just pray for guys like that to walk in the door.... :wink:

Sounds like a deal I made today for a headache rack for my truck on our local fb swap shop. the guy asked $100 for an almost new headache rack and it had to be picked up. now the guy is about 60 miles away from me so I offered him $80 if I came and picked it up or $100 if he met me in a town between us ( which is only 25 miles from me) with it. and sure enough he said he would meet me in the town between the 2 of us if Id pay the asking price. I said mark it sold

As much as I don't like having yard sales, it's also kind of fun just for watching who knows how dealing works and who doesn't.

My dad taught me how to deal with folks at yard sales, buying cars, flea markets, pawn shops, etc... I now apply that to ALL my transactions everywhere. You'd be surprised how many big box stores and other places are willing to deal.

yoothgeye said:
As much as I don't like having yard sales, it's also kind of fun just for watching who knows how dealing works and who doesn't.

My dad taught me how to deal with folks at yard sales, buying cars, flea markets, pawn shops, etc... I now apply that to ALL my transactions everywhere. You'd be surprised how many big box stores and other places are willing to deal.

Very true, I had a Huffy Cranbrook I bought at Walmart that had apparently fallen off the top bike shelf and had a broken reflector, a scuffed seat, and a few light scratches. I talked to the manager saying it was the last one of that model and that I still would like to buy it but since it was damaged I wouldn't feel comfortable paying full price. Got it down to $40! :mrgreen:

In case you don't know, the reflectors are always the first thing to go on all my bikes, the seat was ugly and was getting replaced anyway, and I was planning to re-paint it into a rat rod, So none of it mattered to me but it got the price lower. Next time I might have to "Drop" the bike a few times before I buy it. :lol:

Latest posts

Back