"The B3AST"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
A few weeks have gone by since my Beast showed up and now I think she is ready for some upgrades. Been ordering a few parts online to transform her into "The B3AST".

Stock Mongoose Beast with some decals removed and greased up.

OCC chopper wheel with SA 3speed SX-RB3 hub from Kratefest 2012.

Since the hub came with nothing else I needed to order a few parts for the build. I got all these from bikeparts.com.

First ordered a Mark III indicator chain, a new axle fulcrum (thought I needed it), new chain guide, and an full indicator chain cover.

A new 3 speed twist shifter.

Now for some braking power. This hub only works with band or servo style brakes. So I decided to order me a new band brake from ebay.

New brake cable/shifter housing and also a new dia-compe brake lever.

Last but not least I also ordered a black aluminum water bottle holder.

If anyone can help me on what length of spokes I would need to make this hub work on "The B3AST" I would really appreciate it.

Re:

jayblok said:
is that 3 speed hub a freewheel? i never seen one like that, the reason i ask is because you said you need special braking power for it

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Yes, it's a freewheel 3 speed hub. I was worried I couldn't find any brakes for the hub but band brakes seems to be pretty common in the electric scooter world.

Looking forward to seeing this.

Disassembled the hub from the wheel last night. Was originally going to mount this wheel to my extra Manta Ray but I think "The B3AST" deserves it more.

Here is the band brake to hub adapter all mounted to the cleaned up SA3 hub. Now on to finding and ordering new spokes.

Now that RRB08 is over (not that I participated) its time to start back up on "The B3AST" build again.
Dropped my hub and wheel off at the local LBS and had them lace up my 3-speed hub. $25 later and this is what I got!

Here it is mounted on the bike. Forgot that the band brake had to be put on prior to the wheel on the bike so now its time to remove it again. The chain was way too tight to fit the new hub and the only way I could remove it was to add 2 links to it. Since the beast didn't come with a master link I decided it would be a good time to add one. More pics to come later....

Did you ever finish rigging up the 3 speed on this?

I did finish this bike for the time being. Winter is coming and have been busy with my other hobby (motorcycles) and fixing my winter car. I will get you RRB'rs some pics soon. Wasn't sure how interested you guys were seing other build with similar hubs being posted.

Total investment: $325

Beast: $200
Hub: $15 ($40-$25 for rim/spokes sold)
Brake Parts: $40
Hub Parts: $70

So not bad IMO. Rides real nice now. Feels like a new bike with 3 speeds. Doesn't stop very good with the band brake but it stops.

jayblok said:
I'm wondering if a 3 speed hub would be a good idea on a regular multi speed mountain /road bike. I say this because I have a tendency to have "accidents"like bumping into things on a regular basis and the rear derailleur always bends or breaks and straightening it or replacing it becomes a headache, especially if it happens over and over again :)

Honestly, If I was put an internal multi speed hub on to a mountain bike/road bike I would go with something like a 5 or 7 speed. 3 speed hub is really limited. You have an uphill gear, a coaster gear, and a downhill gear. Thats it. I was never a fan of 3 speed hubs but thats all I had to put onto the beast due to the wide hub.

Re:

jayblok said:
Kool, i will experiment with 7 speed hubs on my Genesis two nine :cool:

Sent From My Rotary Phone

Rotary Phone....must be a revolutionary one!

Speaking of Genesis 29er, I have an Onyx that got a tube leak 2 weeks after buying it. Do you know where I could pick up a tube that fits the deep v-rims?

Finally got some pics for ya guys that wanted to see my hub on "The B3AST". I plan on doing the cranks, pedals, handlebars, neck, and front brakes for next years riding season. For now....she suites me well.

Got some more time this past month to work on "The B3AST". Had my first child and took some of the paternity leave to work on my projects.

Most recent upgrades I did was bought a threaded to threadless neck adapter and purchased an old school Mongoose threadless bmx stem. I also took a few days (between drilling and charging my drill) to put a few holes in the front and rear wheels. Order of operation: make template, mark holes on rim, punch each mark, drill pilot hole, drill pilot hole a little bigger, drill lots of 1" holes, and deburr each hole inside & out.

Front wheel with two rows of 1" holes. Not sure how many exactly but there are two holes in between each spoke.

Back wheel with 1" holes down the center and staggered 11/16" holes. I used a step drill bit for the outside holes and of course a hole drill for the center holes.

I ended up purchasing some new rim strips from the LBS for $5 a wheel. Some may not know this but Surly just came out with 75mm wide rim strips that will cover these wider rims nicely. Here is the finished B3AST.

Total investment so far: $325
Drill bits & deburr tool: $30
Surly Rim Strips: $10
White duct tape: $5
Threaded adapter: $15
BMX stem: $15
YST sealed bearings: $10

Total build: $410

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back