The Beacon Flyer...is now the Super deLuxe

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my second attempt. I picked up this 20" Beacon Flyer a few weeks ago and had an idea to completely redo everything on. Strip down, re-paint, swap out all components.
Before:
fullbeacon.jpg

Also, if anyone knows more about this Beacon Flyer, let me know. I am having a tough time finding out anything about it.

I stripped everything down and threw some of the original components into Oxalic Acid. This guy was in rough shape.
DSCF1112.jpg

Sprocket Before OA:
DSCF1110.jpg

Sprocket After OA:
DSCF1117.jpg

Stripped and scrubbed down a bit:
DSCF1183.jpg

So last night I got a little antsy and decided that I should wait no longer and just throw together what I have and see what it looks like. BTW, I had to destroy the original headset and original fork to get the rusted fork out so I had to get a new headset and then I partially sanded and mounted the 26" fork I had originally painted for my first Rat build "The Rocket". I'm not too happy with this fork, but I like the way it stretches the bike out a little. I still have more ideas on things to change and add but here's where I'm at right now.
DSCF1194-1.jpg

DSCF1189-1.jpg

DSCF1187-1.jpg

DSCF1188-1.jpg

DSCF1186-1.jpg

My ideas for changes:
24" front wheel
I have a 46 tooth solid chainwheel I want to put on (but i first need to find a 3 piece crank that can accommodate)
New 26" front fork - maybe some sweet trusses or something.

Re: The Beacon Flyer

dude whatever it was that you put the sprocket in is a miracle worker!!! that chrome looks almost new! i love how the rear triangle comes apart. never seen anything like that. cant wait to see what you do with this bike!!

Easy E

Re: The Beacon Flyer

I used Oxalic Acid. It comes in a crystal form (sold as Wood Bleach at a hardware store) and you mix it with water and soak anywhere from 12-24 hours, depending on how bad the rust is. It really only works well on chrome though. Anything really deeply pitted or regular steel can discolor.

The removable seat stay is a pretty cool deal. I was thinking at one point about keeping it off and maybe welding some sort of smaller support near where the chain stay and seat tube meet, but problem #1 is I don't weld. I am not a big guy so maybe I could get away with riding it without the seat stay :?

So I got a new bike from Dingo and it changed my whole outlook on things. I found that it fit a cool crank I had, and I really liked the shape. The outcome is just a bit different.
DSCF1217-1.jpg

DSCF1223-1.jpg

DSCF1220-1.jpg

This is just a mockup. I am going to pull it back apart and clean it up a bit. I also want to paint it but don't know about colors. Any suggestions?

Update:

I just got some new seat posts and I am still trying to decide between them.
Layback Style:
DSCF1234.jpg

BMX Style:
DSCF1237.jpg

I am waiting for a BMX style seat from Ebay to add to the bike and then I will probably be done for now. I just stripped the paint yesterday and I am still trying to decide on a color(s) for the frame. We'll see what I come up with.

so chip, after searching the classifieds, i found that your sellin the beacon?! how come man? that was a sweet rare bike!!!

Easy E

Well, in my humble abode the projects are starting to pile up pretty rapidly. I love the frame, but I don't see myself using it in the near future. I thought I'd give someone else a shot with it and see if they can do something cool. If no one wants it, I guess I'll have to deal with the harsh consequenses of holding onto it. :wink:

Back