The Bikes That Find Me

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoothgeye

I build stuff.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Since the majority of the bikes that I get come to me, I thought I'd start documenting them. Since these are freebies, don't expect anything too exciting, but I just think it's neat that I don't have to try and I get bikes. :mrgreen:

Let's get started with last week.

A church member brought me a bike, a scooter, and a tricycle:

First this 60s? JC Higgins, it was given to him by the original owner, she said she paid $20 for it new. It has the tell-tale Murray Ohio pointy dropouts. It has a decent Messinger saddle. I might actually fix this one up for another church member who mentioned they wanted a bike. Would this have originally had a tank?:

jch1.jpg

jch2.jpg

This is the scooter, I looked it up, you can still get these online for $175, brings back memories of my old scooter. My kids LOVE this and fight over it, so I need to find another. The neighborhood kids love it too and don't understand why this is so cool and all of their razor scooters are so dumb:

scooter.jpg

Here's the tricycle, it's Morgan, made in USA, originally $199 :shock:

tricycle.jpg

Now this week.

Tuesday a church member called and said a neighbor just threw a bike out, I did have to drive 4 blocks to get it in my neighborhood. I was expecting a trashed Walmart bike (stay tuned) but was very surprised to see this 90s Diamond Back Outlook mountain bike. It had a dog leash tangled in the rear freewheel cassette, I cut it out and got on and shifted through all the gears and rode it around, already had air in the tires too. Very nice bike.

SAM_0531.jpg

Last night a church member brought me this girl;s Murray "mtb", not much to look at, but there are parts there and as usual, tall bike potential. The exercise bike in front of it is one I found beside the road today while I was out for a drive with my kids in the country. It had just been put by the curb, so hasn't been sitting outside. Hunt Wilde grips on the bars and 2 more sets as the "feet." I'm hoping I can use the 3 piece crank arms on my '56 JC Higgins strike bike, but I'm concerned about the threading on the pedals.

SAM_0532.jpg

And just a few minutes ago a guy stopped by the house with these 4 bikes in his truck, he thinks all the tires will hold air, he was just cleaning out his shed and heard I was the guy who took in bikes and gave them away. The Murray mountain bike in front is actually made in USA. If I can get it tuned well I'm going to give it to the neighbor, he was wanting a "bike with gears" to use to scout his hunting land.

SAM_0530.jpg

And that's last week and this week... well, so far at least.

Oh yeah, the 2 playground tricycles in the background of the last photo were brought to me last week too, I'm going to give them to my won's preschool, the kids there love riding tricycles during recess.

I have one of those tricycles I bought at an antique store and made an end table for our livin room. Someone cut the pedals off of it though,go figure.

Budeebro1 said:
I have one of those tricycles I bought at an antique store and made an end table for our livin room. Someone cut the pedals off of it though,go figure.

Which one? The red one? I need to remove the flashlight headlight and fix the wires going to the switch to make it work, why? I don't know, but it is kind of cool. I think when I do it I might try to flush mount the end of the flashlight for a cooler look.

That very first bike is a Murray built and I am 99.9% sure that a ladies Flightliner tank/lights will bolt right up to it...the frames look identical...check out item #260990858523 on ebay...P 8)

yoothgeye said:
What are these other contraptions in this picture, The far one looks like a tall bike but I don't know what to make of the square tube in the foreground.

Pappy said:
That very first bike is a Murray built and I am 99.9% sure that a ladies Flightliner tank/lights will bolt right up to it...the frames look identical...check out item #260990858523 on ebay...P 8)

I see now, so I guess since mine has a head badge then it never had a tank, I'd never thought of that before. I like some women's tanks, some, not so much.

outskirtscustoms said:
What are these other contraptions in this picture, The far one looks like a tall bike but I don't know what to make of the square tube in the foreground.

The red one is a tall bike, the brown "camo" one is a taller bike, the chrome square tube (table legs) with the blue is the Spincycle, it's a totally stupid bike, but people tend to like it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYXP9a_04Bg

Edit: I see you commented on it the first time I introduced it here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=48031&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

I'm sorry, it is one of the daycare trikes. Those things could take on an army tank and just about win. If I can find a picture I will post it.

I don't know if yours had a tank or not but going that is has a headbadge on it I wouldn't think it did. My two had tanks though.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=55469

Will try to get photos tomorrow, but someone called today and had 3 bikes for me, they were 3 doors down from the church and I grabbed them on my way home. Basic junk, a 12" Tonka boys "full suspension" bike, I've had one of these before, heaviest 12" bike around, a 16" Huffy Rock-It in store condition, might make my son a spare out of it, and another purple women's bike EXACTLY like the one in the pile against the tree from yesterday. She seemed like she wanted the bike, but didn't know how to take care of it, it has maybe been ridden once. It has a broken shifter, I will replace it with the one from against the tree, tune it and go give it back to her. This week so far, 8 bikes and an exercise bike.

Latest posts

Back