The Cheapliner

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So it's been pointed out by people here and others not on the site that apparently my bike has a so-cal speedshop-type vibe to it. I did not build it with this intention and to this day I have no idea why it draws those comparisons... I just hope it means they like it. :D I just thought that gray and red would go together well. That's right. Gray. Not white. It's a bright gray. The paint can said so. Having said that, here's my entry.
2777646233_27eb1609ff_b.jpg

2778500604_0196fafa82_b.jpg

2778501466_22711bbef5_b.jpg

2778500114_446b2fe7bc.jpg

2778499100_02837ab6e5.jpg

2778499312_8d811a5c52.jpg

2778499688_ffd807ef9f.jpg

2778501050_58767d127c_b.jpg

I want to thank everyone for the support and fun I've had while building this bike. It's been a blast. :mrgreen:

Build Thread here:http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=8724

NO need to defend yourself on the build. It looks nothing like the so-cal vehicles to me, they all had white/red scallop paint. I think it's very original and you should be proud of your build. :D

Thanks. I wasn't trying to defend myself, just claim ignorance. :D Like I said before, I just hope it meant that people liked it. And if not, I do. And I'm the one that has, no wait, gets to ride it. :mrgreen:

Love the paint jobby and I'm a suckah for that frame style.
I hope to run across one someday!

A dude in my VW gang just got one.
I'll have to work on him. 8)

Nice work.
Looks like a great rider. :D

Looks like a TRUE Hot Rod!

BLASTER said:
Love the paint jobby and I'm a suckah for that frame style.
I hope to run across one someday!

A dude in my VW gang just got one.
I'll have to work on him. 8)

Nice work.
Looks like a great rider. :D
Dude you have a vw gang? Lucky! I wish I had one... Do you have to have sweet nunchuck skills to join?
Oh just in case anyone was wondering, I got so emphatic about my gray paint in the first post here because my wife(whom I love...) likes to make fun of me and call it white. I'm colorblind and have a hard time identifying some colors... I can tell this is gray though. Even thugh she thinks its white. I had to put it next to her white fenders to prove my point. But she still gives me a hard time. :wink:

Figured I'd put a build list here... I'm bored at work...
Frame: Spaceliner from the 'Bay
Bars and grips:Donated from my parts trike
Wheels and seat and chain and tubes:Donated from a parts bike
Tires(both new front and 'broke in' rear): Local Bike Shop
Fork and seatpost:picked up from rms37 at the centralia swap meet
Paint:NewHolland brand Ford red and Brilliant Grey

If you look close at the shiny parts, I did a little but of grime removal but not rust removal and the paintjob... I didn't use ant secret aging sauce or anything, but I used a few fairly heavy coats of primer and rubbed them with a cotton rag to give it some texture. I didn't really know what I was doing, but i did know i didn't want my paint to be shiny and smooth. I wanted it to be 'ratty' but at the same time I didn't want to just spray down the crappiest paintjob I could... I dunno. There's probably better ways to antique a paintjob than that, but This is my second paintjob ever, so I'm pretty satisfied with it.

Also, we had a carshow here this weekend, and i rode the 'Liner to it, and got a lot of attention from car owners and show-goers alike. It was a good weekend. :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back