The Crusty Pistachio

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As I’ve been meaning to do a rebuild on this frame, figured what better motivation then to throw my hat in the ring for the build off.

1980ish Laguna Cruiser.

245566D6-1FC5-4E46-AB87-0ADF757512AA.jpeg

Since my original build on it, I’ve referred to it as the Pistachio. Thus the title name.

I’ve made some small changes since the build thread I first did on it - https://ratrodbikes.com/threads/crusty-cruisin.112669/

The driving factor for a rebuild is this fork-

963EE989-7F69-4A61-8459-7BEBB2FA19C1.jpeg

An original Laguna fork, with cantilever mounts added back in the day. At the time I had purchased this fork, it was the only Laguna fork I had seen with canti tabs. I had to have it.
They were originally on this bike, a Champion squareback, a true modified NorCal Klunker.

A0E6774A-5320-4B7A-BB20-E37A0E12EA17.jpeg

When the bike surfaced, an acquaintance of mine acquired it. I made my intentions of owning the fork apparent. As luck would have it, the call came about a year later, and I jumped at em. The yellow had been covered, but the rest of the paint and decals are original.

Now, red wouldn’t really be my first choice to pair with a pistachio green (mostly) frame, but, it’s just funky enough for me to work.

In the transitional years between true klunkers and mountain bikes, it wasn’t uncommon to see bmx cruisers modified for off road use. Canti tabs were added, coasters swapped for drums, etc. I’m a huge fan of this small splinter of time and builds.
The goal here is a mostly era correct build to that time.

Had a moment today to gather a few of the parts I aim to put on it.

E6AAD173-028B-47E3-83C4-2DC5D357384E.jpeg

Sturmey Archer rear drum hub dated ‘79
Solid aluminum moto bars
Magura brake levers with dust covers intact
Early 80s Toad Stood grips
Mafac cantilever brakes with a NOS Dia compe cable hanger
Some square block knobbies

I may also swap to a three piece crank. Kind of depends on my mood as I go along. Figure 7ish weeks should be plenty of time.

Wow, I'm loving everything about this bike! The Champion is a sweet time capsule too. The Laguna fork is really going to fit the vibe on your clunker with the Mafac brakes. The patina on the frame is great. I love the B72, cranks and pedals. Is that a Tuff Neck goose neck? Will you be selling the chrome forks or are they going on another wicked cool klunk?

Wow, I'm loving everything about this bike! The Champion is a sweet time capsule too. The Laguna fork is really going to fit the vibe on your clunker with the Mafac brakes. The patina on the frame is great. I love the B72, cranks and pedals. Is that a Tuff Neck goose neck? Will you be selling the chrome forks or are they going on another wicked cool klunk?

Thanks. I agree that Champion is epic!
The chrome Tange TX 1200 forks will be goin back in the pile of forks for now.

Was able to get a little work done this morning.
First thing was to shave the little nub off the cable hanger as the cut out on the steerer was down the front side of this fork, not the rear.
81C94FA9-39C0-4954-B2FF-06D9A92820F3.jpeg

Was considering using a different stem. But I think this faded red one will match up kinda decent with the red fork, so I’ll leave it on.
F43C0DF6-739B-43FE-8E68-35185C646639.jpeg

So, got the fork on, cable hanger, and new bars. Mounted the tire to a test rim to visualize. Kind of odd, the drop outs on these forks make for a super tight fit for a normal 15mm nut. Going to have to possibly reconsider my wheelset choice. Was going to have to build a rear wheel anyhow, why not a front while I’m at it.
55B8AD6B-1C1F-4EB0-9BD8-FD6646E13C0A.jpeg

goin back in the pile of forks for now.

ABA8C9D4-95E5-4C5A-A5F5-6EEB68B57088.jpeg

This is like a McDonalds commercial - I’m loving it. (Now y’all gonna be singing that in yer head, you are welcome)

My thoughts are that a 1-piece crank fits with the time period of early klunkers. So I’d say stay with what cha got in the pics. But just my 2 cents.

After getting the red fork on that frame, I gotta say, I’m not digging it. The contrast is too much and the paint is too nice on the fork.
I do still want to convert the bike to hand brakes though, so I’ll move forward with a different idea. I’ve been trying to have bikes I have doubles of with one as coaster, one as hand brakes. Unfortunately the fork and the brake levers will have to get saved for another project.
And before it gets mentioned, I refuse to paint the fork, or the frame.

As I’ve been meaning to do a rebuild on this frame, figured what better motivation then to throw my hat in the ring for the build off.

1980ish Laguna Cruiser.

View attachment 218057

Since my original build on it, I’ve referred to it as the Pistachio. Thus the title name.

I’ve made some small changes since the build thread I first did on it - https://ratrodbikes.com/threads/crusty-cruisin.112669/

The driving factor for a rebuild is this fork-

View attachment 218059

An original Laguna fork, with cantilever mounts added back in the day. At the time I had purchased this fork, it was the only Laguna fork I had seen with canti tabs. I had to have it.
They were originally on this bike, a Champion squareback, a true modified NorCal Klunker.

View attachment 218060

When the bike surfaced, an acquaintance of mine acquired it. I made my intentions of owning the fork apparent. As luck would have it, the call came about a year later, and I jumped at em. The yellow had been covered, but the rest of the paint and decals are original.

Now, red wouldn’t really be my first choice to pair with a pistachio green (mostly) frame, but, it’s just funky enough for me to work.

In the transitional years between true klunkers and mountain bikes, it wasn’t uncommon to see bmx cruisers modified for off road use. Canti tabs were added, coasters swapped for drums, etc. I’m a huge fan of this small splinter of time and builds.
The goal here is a mostly era correct build to that time.

Had a moment today to gather a few of the parts I aim to put on it.

View attachment 218070

Sturmey Archer rear drum hub dated ‘79
Solid aluminum moto bars
Magura brake levers with dust covers intact
Early 80s Toad Stood grips
Mafac cantilever brakes with a NOS Dia compe cable hanger
Some square block knobbies

I may also swap to a three piece crank. Kind of depends on my mood as I go along. Figure 7ish weeks should be plenty of time.
That’s going to be a really nice. I’ll be checking out your updates. I Love Laguna Cruiset!

So, definitely not as cool, but swapped the fork back, tire mounted, grips, brake levers, and brake installed. I tried gold, red, and blue brakes, but in the end silver won for my eye. Blue cable housing as it was already cut and is faded a bit. Next weekend I’ll get in some more time and start the rear wheel rebuild or possibly crank swap.

C820FFA7-1157-4E78-949A-2D96F22BA271.jpeg

Found an hour or so today to get some work done. Pulled the rear wheel, eyeballed chain line (this drum hub was originally 5 speed, the axle was trimmed for single), tore the wheel down, and got the SA hub laced in. Will true and tension soon.
Happy to get to use the crusty black Arayas as I wanted them to stay with this frame. Bonus that the bendix kickback hub and the SA drum take the same spoke length for three cross.

C580868F-3236-4E69-9064-F2BFEC1E7D8A.jpeg

1753FD95-1651-4104-B0D8-88D99B3C247D.jpeg

Latest posts

Back