The Dakota Bandit...is finished......

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey All,

This will be my second go at the "RRBBO" I am a little late, but in a very fashionable way!! 8)
Anyway, I wasn't sure what this bike is, my father picked it up for me during last years build off. After some looking at it I found the words "Roadster" and "Monarch", a little iffy on the year. Maybe the 50's?
I have a idea to where I would like it to end up, but it wouldn't really be considered a "Rat" by any means. So I guess I will just see how it evolves!! I do know that I want to paint the frame gloss black.

Anyway here are some pics
_MG_6363.jpg

Stripping the "Bandit" down
IMG_1000006035.jpg

_MG_6376.jpg

_MG_6384.jpg

I will only really be able to work on it during the weekends, so my updates wont be a daily affair!! :cry:

The original make is discovered!!
_MG_6385.jpg

Re: Late as Usual!! The Dakota Bandit

Peatbog said:
The tire/wheel combo is already looking mighty fine.

Ditto 8) 8)

Re: The Dakota Bandit

Man some of you guys are off and running strong!!

I have been staring at my bike quit often, scratching my head. :mrgreen:

Well, I managed to strip some paint and found the original paint and graphics were still there. That was cool!
IMG_1000006054.jpg

So I am torn on just leaving it as is, as far as the tank goes at least! Other than that I "won" a cool old seat off Evil Bay and splurged on a little trinket for it.

Today I cut up some handle bars and may or not use them.
IMG_1000006106.jpg

IMG_1000006111.jpg

I took a stem off a Schwinn Suburban, I like its lower drop on the neck.
IMG_1000006102.jpg

Other than that, progress is slow!! :cry:

Just for fun I stuck this exercise tire on the front. Was going to use it last year, still haven't found a use for it! :roll:
IMG_1000006101.jpg

Love the original paint. Great start.

Oneuglybike said:
Man some of you guys are off and running strong!!

I have been staring at my bike quit often, scratching my head. :mrgreen:

Well, I managed to strip some paint and found the original paint and graphics were still there. That was cool!
IMG_1000006054.jpg

So I am torn on just leaving it as is, as far as the tank goes at least! Other than that I "won" a cool old seat off Evil Bay and splurged on a little trinket for it.

That tank is so darn cool,ratastic
Evil bay lol--they really are nowadays arent they.

This little fella showed up in the mail today, I probably payed to much for it. :shock: Anyway's, I think he's pretty cool! I have a idea where to put him, well see! :mrgreen:

IMG_1000006115.jpg

Great build so far, a real contender! :D I like that hood ornament 8)

Oneuglybike said:
This little fella showed up in the mail today, I probably payed to much for it. :shock: Anyway's, I think he's pretty cool! I have a idea where to put him, well see! :mrgreen:

IMG_1000006115.jpg

You should change the name to the Dakota Devil Booga.

Ok, I have sprocket envy! Not to mention the tank is the bomb and the front tire is SICK! As for the hood ornament...I want one for my 2001 Dodge Neon, but I don't think it would go over to well parked in front of the church. LOL!

Joker-n-Jack said:
Ok, I have sprocket envy! Not to mention the tank is the bomb and the front tire is SICK! As for the hood ornament...I want one for my 2001 Dodge Neon, but I don't think it would go over to well parked in front of the church. LOL!

I had the same thoughts, cool hood ornament, good luck explaining it to congregants.

Re: The Dakota Bandit "Aka The Dakota Devil Booga" new seat!

My seat showed up today, I am quit pleased with the patina of the leather!! I have no idea what the brand is? Any ideas? :| :!: :?:
IMG_1000006117.jpg

IMG_1000006116.jpg

My ex-girlfreind left this "wallyworld" huffy in my garage, she said I could have it. I don't know if I can do anything with it as far as using parts. Any suggestions? I may see if that fork can be used. :roll:
IMG_1000006119.jpg

Re: The Dakota Bandit "Aka The Dakota Devil Booga" new seat!

Nice name! Now you need to crop a good photo of that hood ornament and make that your Avatar.

The rear triangles from those bikes are good to use if you want to make a homemade longtail cargo bike.

Re: The Dakota Bandit "Small update" not much

Hi All, I haven't made much progress to my own dismay! :? I haven't been able to find my groove or what I want this bike to look like. :roll:

If I have spent as much time doing as I have been staring at it, I bet I would be close to being done! :oops:

I have been following many of the builds on here and almost feel like a little kid playing with grown ups! You guys got skills!! :shock:

Anyway, I have been tinkering and looking at parts and tons of stuff on "evil bay", but today I kind of mocked up some different things until I kind of found a look I am going for! :D

I bobbed the rear fender and cleaned up some odds and ends. I am still torn on painting the frame and wheels :!: :!: I am leaving the tank as is, and I may leave the wheels as is! It's a rat after all!!

_MG_6408.jpg

_MG_6404.jpg

This was in a box of headlights I have, I just need to get some battery's for it. I am pretty sure it works, I believe it was on a helmet?

_MG_6412.jpg

My helper, giving her two cents on another mock up! :lol:

_MG_6398.jpg

I dug this out of junk pile at my Grandmothers ranch, I believe it's a early 50's Monark Silver King. It's been laying there next to a river that has been over its banks many times for at least 30 years that I know of! :shock:
IMG_1000006353.jpg

I say clear coat it and put air in the tires.

kingfish254 said:
I say clear coat it and put air in the tires.

Clear coat? What are you, some sort of hot rodder?

Looking good, looks like your "helper" was saying something when you shot the photo...

Latest posts

Back