The Damascus Roadster moving forward

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Damascus Roadster

Yes it is!

It's Trainwreck. It's mentioned in some obscure book somewhere. Retired with a 9/4 record.

We used to talk about drillium all the time and annoy the newbs. :D

Re: The Damascus Roadster the no progress report

I never went to the nationals used to visit the SECR events and the N.C. Robot Streetfight but never really did anything. Of course if it were still going we probably would not have time or money (especially money) for bikes.

motopsyco said:
I never went to the nationals used to visit the SECR events and the N.C. Robot Streetfight but never really did anything. Of course if it were still going we probably would not have time or money (especially money) for bikes.

That's no lie! Took me about 7 years to pay it all off. Definitely the sport of Kings.

And now for your regularly scheduled build thread.

I meant to post this yesterday, but there are so many awesome build threads I was reading until bedtime just to keep up with what you guys are doing and the bikes are even better this year. (except for mine of course).
Great things are happening in my life :D but it does cut into my building time so I've scaled back my plans a bit. The five speed shifter will be saved for another build, it just did not make sense to use bar end levers and internally routed brake cables with an exposed stick shifter and cable. Plus I already have four black bikes (5 if you count the motorcycle). So the color may change as well.
The first item up was to clean the factory Sumo rims and SR hubs up a bit. First I removed (code for destroyed with a torch) the five speed freewheel, so I decided to go single speed. At Dorr's show this year I let some kid talk me into trading him 2 white 20" tires for a Wal-Goose bmx bike that I was sure would wind up in the dumpster with no value to me whatsoever, but it did happen to have a good freewheel on it.
First I had to see if it would line up.
alignment.jpg

This might be a sad sight to some...
singlespeed.jpg

Here's my first bespoke part, I melted the bearing cover removing the stuck freewheel, but fortunately have this ABS plastic sheet left over from building a custom battery box for my Ninja, so I just made a new one. It was faster, cheaper, and less frustrating than going to the LBS here for a new one.
newcover.jpg

2 shiny old wheels awaiting re-assembly
wheels.jpg

Life is great and I should be off the road soon and able to sneak into the shop for more than just a couple hours on the weekend. Now I'm going to collect a few more parts and get ready for next weekend!
Peace Y'all

motopsyco said:
The five speed shifter will be saved for another build, it just did not make sense to use bar end levers and internally routed brake cables with an exposed stick shifter and cable.

Dang, I was looking forward to seeing one of my shifters on a BO7 bike.

kingfish254 said:
motopsyco said:
The five speed shifter will be saved for another build, it just did not make sense to use bar end levers and internally routed brake cables with an exposed stick shifter and cable.

Dang, I was looking forward to seeing one of my shifters on a BO7 bike.

So was I, but just scroll back a couple of pictures ago and look for an Electra hanging on the wall, then open your eyes wide :shock: and dream. I just accepted a job back at home that pays very close to what I'm making on the road so when my current contract is up at the end of the month I should have more time in the shop I hope.

Re: The Damascus Roadster a little progress report

Now you're talkin'. Good luck with the new job, the Damascus Roadster and your future Electra Speedster!

Re: The Damascus Roadster 6 16

ruddigger said:
Haha, now that's funny. I can see them in there, I think.
Critter1 said:
Cool! Thay have a nice profile to them! :D
Nothing a little cutting, sanding, & thermo-forming can't fix :wink:
While I was burning a slice of cow on the grill for lunch, the mailman dropped these off for me...
newtires.jpg

What other tire could I possibly run on a bike with this theme?
Besides in my neighborhood a skinny road tire is useless.
Was planning to make more progress but my wife asked me to build a bike for the granddaughter this weekend & I don't dare try to weasel out of it. Will post a thread for it in the build section when I get back to work next week.

Okay Ladies and gentlemen, I actually manged to get a little done on this bike this past weekend, of course first I had to do some work to the bike I rode on the tour
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=52118&p=497466#p497466
Then I actually got up Saturday morning and went to the tour http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58736
Then before I could get back to my bike I had to finish this, http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=58670&p=564612#p564612 after all grand kids are more important than anything else we have in our earthly lives.
Today we are going to remove all of the little braze-on cable clips etc that spoil the lines of our frame.
brazeon1.jpg

First we get out our favorite wrench 8) after all it will remove anything!

torch.jpg

Now we heat those ugly frame pimples til they are nice and red. (just heat the braze-ons not the frame itself)
fire.jpg

While they are still glowing grab them with some pliers and snatch them off.
pullitoff.jpg

This way if you have to do any grinding it will be very minimal.
dailygrind.jpg

And then a strip of sandpaper should finish smoothing it right out.
aftermath.jpg

I don't have to work next week, prepare to be amazed :shock:

More than ready to be amazed!!!!!!

Bring it on!!!!!!

Re: The Damascus Roadster 6 24 braze-offs

Do the math, lay out the pattern using cheap primer the poor mans layout fluid, and then sharpen your bits...
layouttools1.jpg

Then have a little fun with power tools!
toolatenow.jpg

I'm going back outside to work on my bike some more now.

Re: The Damascus Roadster is now holeier than thou!

Well in the 3 or 4 hours since my last post I have gotten a little bit of work done.
Finished removing the pink paint.
paintless1.jpg

added my stem and bars so I could fit the internal brake cables
barsnforks.jpg

I just happen to have some internal cable guides left over from another bike that I parted out so after routing my cables through the bars here is how I ran the rear brake cable through the top tube. First drill some pilot holes,
pilotholes.jpg

then enlarge them to 6mm and cut the slot,
redi2cut.jpg

grind and de-burr to fit guide,
finishslot.jpg

next run the cable housing through.
frntguide.jpg

See easy peasy, now flip it over and do the same at the other end!
rearguide.jpg

Here's a shot with both cables visible. Now that I've cooled off a little, I'm going back out to work on my bike some more...
cablemup.jpg

Peace Y'all

Great "holey" work!!!!

Schwinnray, Bighit, & Kingfish, thanks for the kind words gentlemen I appreciate it.

The next item to go under the drill was the factory sprocket. As is it came it was actually quite a nice piece of alloy but here on Planet Psyco there is nothing that cant be improved by welding, grinding, or drilling! :shock:
sprocketb4.jpg

Mo betta now :lol:
drilledsprkt.jpg

I also went ahead and put the bearings back in the wheels, then stuck the tires on them so that I could post this mock up shot, with the bull bars and the Gyes saddle to see how it all works together. I know that normally a bike like this would get a drop stem, but I'm so hip that I'm allowed to be different. :mrgreen:
mockinu.jpg

At some point this week I need to fix my wife's car, but I really hope to start the paint before I go back to work on Monday.
Peace Y'all

Re: The Damascus Roadster Cant stop drilling! 7 4 12

Just checking in to show off the work I did last night and this morning. First I primed the frame and sanded it back down some with a nice filler primer. Then I gave it a thick coat of self etching primer, & after that dried, I loaded up my spray gun with some Duplicolor "Paint Shop" clear.
primergrey.jpg

Hey nothing says ratrod like primer!

This morning I got up while it was cool and taped it off for the 2 tone look I decided to go for.
taped.jpg

For this little bit of paint I will use an inexpensive single stage Paasche airbrush with Dr. Ph. Martin's water base enamel for the red.
toy.jpg

I have also painted the fork and the sprocket this same color red, should be really striking when re-assembled.
patience.jpg

Now for the hard part, I need to wait at least 48 hours to do pinstripes & decals, guess I can kill a few hours finishing up this job... :(
werkarrgh.jpg

and here is the required gratuitous rabbit picture that every thread must have :wink:
wabbit.jpg

Peace Y'all

Re: The Damascus Roadster Got Paint!!! 7 6 12

is that the stem you're going to use? a more horizontal one I think would look better and more aggressive. But I really like the drilling - that's my favorite.

Latest posts

Back