THE DREADED AGE OLD SHIFTER question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want a 3 or 5 speed shifter on my dynocruiser. I was thinking of one like on the old Krates with a 5 or 3 speed shifter knob. I'd also love to add handbrakes on my bike two , on oth sides. Are there any places online with kits ? I have NO idea how to start....is there any schematics online ? I assume I'll need a new tire and HUB as well. I had toyed with the thought of buying the new Schwinn Stingray Choppers , in the adult 26" size, and removing the parts I wanted ( Brakes, rear wheel and hub ) and using them.
This one :
]
r_19.37.S5_GLB_SPOILER1SPD_BLK.jpg

into the one below....
Ideas ? Thoughts ? help ??? my bike again is below....

Side.jpg

i'm using disc brakes on my ratfink, to do so you will need to find a disc brake hub or a flipflip hub and add an adapter to put a rotor, you will also need an adapter to hld the caliper...chopperus has them.

as for speeds and shifter , personnaly i use a derailleur and cassette combo since it's easy to find mtb parts that would allow disc brakes and casette gears...
I'm not shure bout the nexus hubs, i think you can use hand brakes with them but i dont know how the system works

http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1635&start=30

sturmey archer made a 3 speed hub with a coaster brake....find that hub and have it laced into your rim

Markm said:
sturmey archer made a 3 speed hub with a coaster brake....find that hub and have it laced into your rim
So did Shimano. Stay away from the S-A TCS hubs they are beast to work on and no parts. You can buy a complete 3 speed cruiser from WM for $119 that comes with a AWC hub...that is about $10 more than the hub sells for by itself. :roll:

Aaron 8)

wahoonc said:
You can buy a complete 3 speed cruiser from WM for $119 that comes with a AWC hub...that is about $10 more than the hub sells for by itself. :roll:

Aaron 8)

hey, this is a very cool little tidbit to have... I didn't think you could even get a new 3-speed hub anymore, much less a coaster brake one, much MUCH less at Wally's. I just looked the bike up at walmart.com--it's the 26" NEXT Men's Monterey Cruiser. Any idea if old S-A shifters will work with this hub?

--rick

ParkRNDL said:
hey, this is a very cool little tidbit to have... I didn't think you could even get a new 3-speed hub anymore, much less a coaster brake one, much MUCH less at Wally's. I just looked the bike up at walmart.com--it's the 26" NEXT Men's Monterey Cruiser. Any idea if old S-A shifters will work with this hub?

--rick
Rick,
I don't think so but haven't had the opportunity to try it. If you buy the whole bike and gut it you will be getting a shifter anyway.

Aaron 8)

ParkRNDL said:

--rick
Yes, the old shifters are supposed to work fine with the new hubs, though I have yet to see any examples of this.

new_dharma said:
the BIG problem with that idea is the SA 3-speed coaster brake hub is a 40 hole...
I have a few 36 hole SA3 w/cb

Latest posts

Back