The End of the VW BUS

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Renaissance Man

__CERTIFIED DIVER__ (Open Water & Open Dumpster)
Staff member
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
The end of production for the VW Bus will happen in December this year! :cry: :cry: :cry:

:arrow: http://jalopnik.com/old-school-vw-microbus-will-finally-end-production-this-1153016890

Most people are unaware that they are still being produced in Brazil and are still selling well, but more and more restrictions on safety and emissions are finally pushing them into the history books the same way as it happened to the beloved Beetle a few years ago.

One good thing for us Kombi owners is that the value will continue to rise. But even before this news, I can't tell you the number of people who have tried to buy mine. I always respond with the same thing: Everything is for sell, I'll know the price when I hear it. So far, I have yet to hear it! :D

100_5583_zpsf73e88f9.jpg

I try not to read too much about car offerings overseas, it always upsets me at what we DON'T get over here. :cry:

Right, mainly the little 4 cylinder diesel that gets 40 mpg + with plenty of power. Everywhere else uses them while we have too many restrictions that really don't make any difference.

Too bad about the VW bus ending. The first vehicle I rode in as a kid was the family 1959 Microbus. Just like yours only brown/red.

It always gets me when car manufactures brag that their car gets 35MPG... The VW Beetle came out in 1938! And got the same MPG... 75 years and we have yet to improve on German engineering. I miss my Beetle and would love to have a Microbus.

outskirtscustoms said:
It always gets me when car manufactures brag that their car gets 35MPG... The VW Beetle came out in 1938! And got the same MPG... 75 years and we have yet to improve on German engineering. I miss my Beetle and would love to have a Microbus.

When the K-cars came out in 1979 they too got crazy high mileage. At least the Bugs and K-Cars could be played around with having been carburated.

RIP VW Bus.

Here's a picture I scanned recently of my sister's birthday party in, I think 1969. I would have been five. I'm the little blonde guy in the back ground that is most likely picking his nose.

You can see my parents 21 window in the background. I remember sitting on my dad's lap and stearing it up the long driveway (1/4 mile).

10043225363_8f2ae1bf59_b.jpg

ifitsfreeitsforme said:
RIP VW Bus.

Here's a picture I scanned recently of my sister's birthday party in, I think 1969. I would have been five. I'm the little blonde guy in the back ground that is most likely picking his nose.

You can see my parents 21 window in the background. I remember sitting on my dad's lap and stearing it up the long driveway (1/4 mile).

I bet you wish you still had that 'bus. I wish I had one, those 21 windows are getting tough to find and $$$.

outskirtscustoms said:
ifitsfreeitsforme said:
RIP VW Bus.

I bet you wish you still had that 'bus. I wish I had one, those 21 windows are getting tough to find and $$$.

Two words: College Fund

I think it was 1975, six of us went on a trip to Panama City Beach, FL in a 21 window bus. Don't know what year it was but the windshield folded out and it had the canvas top that folded back. The motor had a lot of Empi stuff on it. Went camping in it several times. Great memories!!

Latest posts

Back