the Excelsior

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a good picture of one of my antiques, has original paint, I have replaced the 28" tires with some solid ones. Troxel leather saddle is original, never had a chain guard. ride off stand. front head badge is brass and reads: Excelsior MF'D by Excelsior Cycle Co. Michigan City IND.
excel.jpg

That looks just about like my Grandfather's bike in this photo!!!

I think this photo was taken in 1932.

Let me know if you'd ever consider selling it. :)

granddadsbike.jpg

Wow, Mr. Rat that is a great picture, the bikes look exactly same ecept for the seat. This bike has Lobdell rims that were made in Alma Michigan, I made deliverys to the factory in the early 1970's and they had some of thier bicycle parts on display that they had not made since the 1950's. The rims are wood with a metal overlay, the tires are tubular and are glued to the rims. Has a New Departure brake that doesn't work very well, it was probably high tech for 1920's.
The bike behind the Excelsior is one of my latest builds with the giant drag slick tire.
1rat.jpg

Looks like the bike from the Atomic Zombie site
http://www.atomiczombie.com/product-overkill.htm

gotavan said:
Wow, Mr. Rat that is a great picture, the bikes look exactly same ecept for the seat. This bike has Lobdell rims that were made in Alma Michigan, I made deliverys to the factory in the early 1970's and they had some of thier bicycle parts on display that they had not made since the 1950's. The rims are wood with a metal overlay, the tires are tubular and are glued to the rims. Has a New Departure brake that doesn't work very well, it was probably high tech for 1920's.
The bike behind the Excelsior is one of my latest builds with the giant drag slick tire.
1rat.jpg

Clothespin "n" said:
Holy Crap Dan,
how long does it take to get that thing up to speed? :shock:

nice Fab job,

Kev.
Yes it is on the zombie site, and I have riddin it alot, its geared too tall for hills, but on the flat goes good. I rode it on a bike tour 35 miles and I had a riot scaring the citizens.. other bikes with computers said I was averaging 9.5 MPH and when I wound it up I hit 19 mph. the drum brake on the front only slows it .
Here is another pic of the Excelsior front the metal clip on the bars is used to keep yer pants out of the chain.
excel5.jpg

Back