The Expresso machine

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My MBBO this year will be based on this Huffy frame. Complete with 'espresso geometry' what ever that is🤷‍♂️
Will give it a chop and slacken the head tube.
IMG_20220912_192053_297.jpg

Complete with 'espresso geometry' what ever that is🤷‍♂️

Maybe it's like hydroforming, but done with coffee beans and steam instead of water.

Clearly, our OP has been borked by the whole idea, and has cut it apart. ;-)

Do you guys remember something called the torsion-air girder? I’ve been thinking to try something like that for a long time, but for the life of me I can’t remember who marketed or built it.

Anyhow, it’s claim to fame was that it looked just like a rigid girder, with the handlebars integrated into the whole chromed assembly. It didn’t appear to have any suspension until you looked at the bottom. It actually has rockers and the tail of each rocker connects to a rod that disappears inside the girder.

Up at the steering level each rod connects to a little lever, rotating a torsion bar.

It’s a really cool design and it’s clean because it doesn’t have coil springs or shocks or gaiters or anything like that.

But the downfall is that it’s not adjustable. The handlebars are going to be where they are going to be.

It really needs to be built custom for each bike/rider. My idea is to build one that just has clamps on the top, and you can put whatever bars you like on it.

Seems like you would just need adjustable rod ends and a snubber to limit rocker rotation. Then you could pre-load the torsion bars for each application. Problem being, the more pre-load, the harsher the ride quality...like torsion bar equipped mopars. The only way to adjust spring rate is by changing the diameter of the torsion bar.

...and it's just a spring, so dampening/rebound would need to be added if you don't want just another pogo front end.

Latest posts

Back