The Fortress Project *New Mission*

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Just wanted to share some advise through a short story that may or may not resonate with some of the other dad's out there.

When I was 10 or 11, I wanted a tree fort. Really really bad. Unfortunately, my father worked long hours in the city and it was a long commute so pretty much only saw him on weekends (this didn't last forever). Most weekends and summertime, he and my mom were working on house projects of all kinds or we would do the obligatory family vacation. They were very industrious and ambitious.

Anyhow, dad never had time to help me with my tree fort so I took it upon myself to construt one in a giant white pine, the ones that drip sap of course.

After using up all the scrap plywood in the garage I foudn two nice pieces of heavy dark wood. They were 4'x 2' and almost 2 inches thick. It was a lot of work hauling those into the woods and up the big pine. Hammering nails into it was a real chore, bent a lot of them. Wow that was dense material.

Fast forward to Thanksgiving, and we were hosting which meant lots of relatives and so forth. It also meant time to fit the center leaves into the formal antique cherry dining room table. :oops: .

So I have learned my lesson and although we do not own any fancy furniture that might be repurposed into a tree fort I'm not taking any chances :D . Besides this is fun. I've been working on this for my three boys. All recycled or free materials.

043011064.jpg

043011061.jpg

043011059.jpg

That's a 70' zipline.
043011060.jpg

Still need to install rafters on the second story wich will run all the way back to the ledge. And install the fireman's pole from upstairs to down. I think the big slide will come off the left side in the railing gap by my level. I have a lead on a used 10' wavy slide and merry go round too. And I'm picking up another tower for the far end of the zip line this week. The tall 4x4's will get trimmed and capped. I have a set of military range finding binoculars that look like they came off a tank which will be mounted upstairs on a flexible mount of some kind, maybe a 3/8" universal socket fitting will work. beyond that i kind of figure it out as go. :!:

Re: An important message to Dad's

Found a guy on ebay with natural rock climbing hand holds made from sandstone. 70 pcs for $75.00. Hmmmm, it would break my "free" and recycled policy on the treefort...

Might go after that second tower tonight. Ug, it's going to weigh a ton. Hopefully i can just tip it into the truck and roll home. Getting it into the woods will be another thing.

I also got to thinking about a suspension bridge. I've got some cable left over from the zipline..

good stuff MagicRat. I lost my father back in 1993, he was in Maine, I was off the coast of Chile on an air craft carrier. You can end up with lots of unanswered questions without proper closure.

Walker said:
Gold Street Customs said:
Can you adopt me ? :lol:
Sure thing, do you want to live upstairs by the zipline or downstairs by the slide? :D

Me too!!!! I will live in the shack at the top of the Rope Tow that you are putting in.

cman said:
Walker said:
Gold Street Customs said:
Can you adopt me ? :lol:
Sure thing, do you want to live upstairs by the zipline or downstairs by the slide? :D

Me too!!!! I will live in the shack at the top of the Rope Tow that you are putting in.

Cut your own trail and you get to name it :D.

I was driving around on the 4 wheeler over the weekend and I think I found the location for the tow. Not a whole lot of cutting required although the electrical run is going to be ±250' or so. From the base of the driveway up about 150ft I have a level area, then it gets really steep from there to the top of the ridge. If I run the tow from the flat area up and sort of accross the fall line of the steep it would allow you to either stop at the flat or go all the way to the bottom and walk or shuttle up with the 4 wheeler. Oh yeah, it's all coming together. I'll have to take some pictures.

Re: An important message to Dad's *New Mission*

did some recon on another tower last night. to big for the truck :shock:

So I call a buddy with a trailer to see about borrowing. Sure he says but there's a hitch (of course)

040511021.jpg

Fender fell off due to weld failure last time he ran it and electrical nomes moved in....

Pretty sure I've got some troops signed up for the haul. More pics later!

Re: An important message to Dad's *New Mission*

well I should have gotten a photo with it on the trailer because it filled the whole thing, took 6 guys to lump it into the woods but tower #2 made it home. The kids are frantic...

here's some new photos, straightened up the West tower, added a 6' x 4' platform, 8' tall playground slide, and a ramp for climbing.

008.jpg

009-1.jpg

010-1.jpg

Scored this spiral slide from my favorite store this spring, it will be next on the agenda
011-1.jpg

Also picked up a trailer load of used metal roofing so I'll need to cut some rafters etc.

Latest posts

Back