The front end

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So, somehow bikes just end up ours. I ususally pay retail. Here is a recent attempt at not paying retail.
Negotiation1.JPG

Negotiation2.JPG

Negotiation3.JPG

Every now and then I don't have to beg.
How do y'all do it?

Me: "Hey your bike is cool and all but I'm kind of low on cash"

Them: "What were you thinking?"

Me: <<calculating 20% off>> "$$$"

Them: "No thanks"

Me: "Ok thanks. If it doesn't sell feel free to reach out to me"

Wait one week

Them: "Hey remember me?"

Me: 😏

That's actually only worked a few times. Usually I prefer to go and see it in person if I'm interested enough. Strike up conversation, find common ground, general chit chat, then give it a go. I've found most folks just genuinely want the good stuff to go to someone that expresses interest and will care for it or make it better. And if I don't get it, oh well. Wasn't meant to be

I just ask to see the bike in person. Once I'm there, I try to work on the price. It's a good idea to go over every inch, talking loudly about the flaws. Definitely don't go all fanboy over the bike, talking about how long you've been looking for a Brodie, how excited you are to finally get see one in person. This is not the way to savings.

Also, try not to infuriate the seller. I test drive bikes pretty hard. Sometimes hard enough that when I come back, it's pretty much sold because they're angry at me and worried I damaged the thing. The guy selling his son's 24" Diamondback BMX as a "kid's bike " was definitely not pleased. The guys helping him move were more impressed with me jumping down a stair set and hopping up curbs than he's was, they were almost laughing at the look on his face. If he weren't moving that day, I doubt I would have gotten the bike, just out of spite. His asking price was good enough, and combined with his mood, I didn't bother to dicker.
When I test rode some Hardrocks, I did it out of anger; he listed them as Rockhoppers so I let him watch as I hit them HARD! He had about 6 he was selling for a summer camp, and I bashed every one. Ditches, more stairs, jumps and bumps... and I fell in love, bought 2 of them. Boy, I showed him! I think I might have gotten $25 off each because of the package deal.

Last edited:
Another move is to bring a kid if you have one. I got a great price on an 20" Electra Boogie, and again on a small Rocky Mountain because I had the little guy with me, people like to see a kid getting a bike. But I doubt @One-eyed Sailor is looking for kid bikes.
On the other hand, picking through a garage or barn and wheeling and dealing get tricky with littleuns underfoot. It's a double edged sword.

I just ask to see the bike in person. Once I'm there, I try to work on the price. It's a good idea to go over every inch, talking loudly about the flaws. Definitely don't go all fanboy over the bike, talking about how long you've been looking for a Brodie, how excited you are to finally get see one in person. This is not the way to savings.
What you said here sparked a memory. I was actually a used car salesman bout a hundred years ago and what I remembered was how we were to approach a customer's trade-in. We were to "go over every inch" as you said but in this case it wasn't neccessary to talk loudly about the flaws. Just run your hand over the crease in the door, look at the condition of the tires and say "hmmmm". Every time you do that the value they had in their head is lowered.
Finally, "You want how much as a trade-in?"

My approach is to keep it simple. People selling old bikes usually want it gone quickly without hassle. They don’t want to deal with a bunch of questions.

“I would buy the bike for $75 and I can pick it up at 6:00pm tonight. I live 30 minutes from you and fix bikes as a hobby. Would love to fix it up!” Name Phone Number

Works well for me. They don’t have to answer any questions.

My approach is to keep it simple. People selling old bikes usually want it gone quickly without hassle. They don’t want to deal with a bunch of questions.

“I would buy the bike for $75 and I can pick it up at 6:00pm tonight. I live 30 minutes from you and fix bikes as a hobby. Would love to fix it up!” Name Phone Number

Works well for me. They don’t have to answer any questions.
Thanks, simple works for me.

The Name TYPHOON is starting to appear everywhere on a daily basis.....Hmmmmmmm!
Coz ive been to the Dump recycle shop almost a doz times ive already learnt to.
1-dress real daggy,
2-Dont brush hair.
3.dont shave.
4 track pants with hole's work well
5- bare feet!
6- The fake coffing , sickly noise's n snuffles.
And if ya really wanna get a bargain look depressed, put on your best fake limp and have $7 in loose change to count in front of them when asking the price!

And if ya really wanna get a bargain look depressed, put on your best fake limp and have $7 in loose change to count in front of them when asking the price
Helps if you are missing teeth in your mouth, but there are some in with the coins!

Latest posts

Back