The Mean Machine - FINISHED!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Green mushroom grips! Perfect for a bike emulating the late '60s early '70s. :crazy:

handy andy mushroom.jpg

Painting at last! Taking a morning coffee break from work. Primer coat started on upper tank and rear rack. Priming should be finished later today. Tomorrow is supposed to be low humidity and sunny, so maybe I can lay down some lime.
View attachment 235032
Looking awesome! I’m sure it’s not a huge concern for you, but how’s the weight on those parts you made?

Looking awesome! I’m sure it’s not a huge concern for you, but how’s the weight on those parts you made?
It is a concern, but compared to an old balloon tire 30's to 50's cruiser bike with steel tanks filled with D batteries, horns, and sometimes radios, I think it'll be fine. Can't be any worse than build-offs bikes past with wooden crates, skateboards, beverage carriers and other doodadery! LOL

Some more inspiration...
FB_IMG_1685746744724.jpg

Doing some fauxtina in a few places. Need to decide which condiments to use when applying the top coat.
20230602_200909.jpg

20230602_200835.jpg

20230602_200816.jpg

Some pieces have natural patina that will also be slathered with condiments.
20230602_204515.jpg

Having second thoughts about painting the chrome frame. Think maybe I'll just paint part of it.
20230602_200945.jpg

Maybe do a paint job similar to @Brian macumber , leave the bulk of the middle part of the frame in the vintage chrome, and paint the head and tail with your awesome green? That, along with the painted tank, rear 'spoiler', etc might be a cool combo.

And you could always spray a set of grips with your frame paint. Then use a clear on them to keep the color intact. I've painted many a grip, and it works pretty well. Maybe use an 'adhesion promoter' to help the paint stick to the rubber / poly grips. I've used it with the Duplicolor Metalcast, and it really helps. Don't need much, and spray your paint when it's still a bit tacky.

andy build.jpg

This is the part in the build where we kind of hold our breath with every move. The aging process is a delicate one, and we never know where it might take us....

Maybe do a paint job similar to @Brian macumber , leave the bulk of the middle part of the frame in the vintage chrome, and paint the head and tail with your awesome green? That, along with the painted tank, rear 'spoiler', etc might be a cool combo.

And you could always spray a set of grips with your frame paint. Then use a clear on them to keep the color intact. I've painted many a grip, and it works pretty well. Maybe use an 'adhesion promoter' to help the paint stick to the rubber / poly grips. I've used it with the Duplicolor Metalcast, and it really helps. Don't need much, and spray your paint when it's still a bit tacky.

View attachment 235164

This is the part in the build where we kind of hold our breath with every move. The aging process is a delicate one, and we never know where it might take us....
Since there will be so much green on top, I'm thinking of painting the down tube, bottom bracket and chain stays, leaving everything else chrome.

Today's condiment of choice is Bojangles honey mustard sauce, applied with a custom made applicator.
20230603_115122.jpg

Once the mustard was applied, it was time to commence with the laying down of the lime.
20230603_115131.jpg

20230603_120022.jpg

20230603_115335.jpg

20230603_120453.jpg

20230603_115343.jpg

Now the fun of watching paint dry begins...

No bike work today. Spent the afternoon visiting our oldest son and his family.
Here's the newest member of the family, a year old last April. Grandpa was making funny noises that she was trying to copy!
View attachment 235415
Need a sublime green trike!!!!!!! :inlove:

Some more inspiration...
View attachment 235129

Doing some fauxtina in a few places. Need to decide which condiments to use when applying the top coat.
View attachment 235130
View attachment 235131
View attachment 235132

Some pieces have natural patina that will also be slathered with condiments.
View attachment 235133

Having second thoughts about painting the chrome frame. Think maybe I'll just paint part of it.
View attachment 235134
Your project is coming along great…. But that coronet is over the top epic!

A little more paint work this afternoon. I blacked out the "hood" and added racing stripes on the upper tank.
20230605_181923.jpg

20230605_181940.jpg

I ran out of the lime paint Saturday afternoon, so had to get more. While at the store, I saw the same paint brand had a "chrome" paint, judging by the label. Only 5 bucks, I'll try it. Sure glad I did. It's not real chromey looking when dry, but, for 5 bucks, it could be a lot worse.
20230605_175148.jpg
20230605_173139.jpg

I experimented with an old crank arm. A little sanding and some 0000 steel wool and a couple of coats of paint...
20230605_182830.jpg

20230605_184731.jpg

Attachments

• 20230605_184731.jpg
    20230605_184731.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
A little more paint work this afternoon. I blacked out the "hood" and added racing stripes on the upper tank.
View attachment 235554
View attachment 235555

I ran out of the lime paint Saturday afternoon, so had to get more. While at the store, I saw the same paint brand had a "chrome" paint, judging by the label. Only 5 bucks, I'll try it. Sure glad I did. It's not real chromey looking when dry, but, for 5 bucks, it could be a lot worse.
View attachment 235550
View attachment 235556

I experimented with an old crank arm. A little sanding and some 0000 steel wool and a couple of coats of paint...
View attachment 235551
View attachment 235566
Love the pile of stuff you paint on. Glad to see I'm not the only one. That green is awesome 😎
The wood work is super cool.

Green is looking good, and I like the effect you got with the chrome paint on the crank arm. Maybe a real light rub with the #0000 steel wool to smooth it out (if you wanted to) a bit, and then a gloss clear, and then a polish; if you want to see how 'chromy' you could get it looking. Otherwise, I like the vintage look it has!

Green is looking good, and I like the effect you got with the chrome paint on the crank arm. Maybe a real light rub with the #0000 steel wool to smooth it out (if you wanted to) a bit, and then a gloss clear, and then a polish; if you want to see how 'chromy' you could get it looking. Otherwise, I like the vintage look it has!

Thanks Odd Job. I will try more experiments later. Really easy to get lost in rabbit holes like this and lose track of the build-off! LOL

Last edited:
Thanks Odd Job. I will try more eperiments later. Really easy to get lost in rabbit holes like this and lose track of the build-off! LOL
And that's what makes a build unique and special! Your use of wood and pvc pipe and other accutrements has set your builds apart.

Keep the momentum going on the build, and then if you have time later, try some of the detail techniques.

A paper insert to convert an old exercycle speedometer into a pretend tachometer. It might just find its way onto the Mean Machine.

First, some editing will need to be done. I don't think any big block V8, not even a hemi, could survive at even 10,000 rpm! 😆
20230606_092103.jpg

Latest posts

Back