The Mean Machine - FINISHED!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Okay, finally have a name for the build, so I am in. Hoping for a 50 year old '70's vibe, muscle car influenced, green machine muscular looking bike.

Parts Pile...
20230503_171458.jpg
Yes, there is some woodworking planned, and maybe some metal working too.

Mock up has begun...
20230503_170437.jpg

Some inspiration...
Ratty Dodge Super Bee in mostly Sublime Lime
Screenshot_20230503_220149_Chrome.jpg

https://barnfinds.com/worlds-worst-1970-amc-rebel-machine/
1970_AMC_Rebel_The_Machine_log-Cecil'10.jpg

AMC The Machine in Big Bad Green
green machine.jpg

Possible paint to be used...
jungle.jpg

Okay, finally have a name for the build, so I am in. Hoping for a 50 year old '70's vibe, muscle car influenced, green machine muscular looking bike.

Parts Pile...
View attachment 230731Yes, there is some woodworking planned, and maybe some metal working too.

Mock up has begun...
View attachment 230732

Some inspiration...
Ratty Dodge Super Bee in mostly Sublime Lime
View attachment 230733

https://barnfinds.com/worlds-worst-1970-amc-rebel-machine/
View attachment 230734

AMC The Machine in Big Bad Green
View attachment 230736

Possible paint to be used...
View attachment 230737
Epic cool…. I need a neon bike!

Dug around and found a few more goodies. I dismantled the original Lean Mean Green Machine after the build-off. The cockpit was too short to ride comfortably so I tore it up. I saved the headers and want to incorporate them into this build. Also found the "nose cone" from the original Spaceliner build and stuck it on for looks.
20230503_200019.jpg

20230503_200003.jpg

Started on some wooden "enhancements " this evening...
20230504_202255.jpg

I'm feeling it. Being a spraypaint snob I recommend Belton Molotow or Montana Colors over Krylon. Not so watery, (less coats, drips and build-up), and you'll find a closer match cuz they've got faaaar more colors. Unless of course you were aiming for the aged or discolored variation. It might work with alternate shades layered and sanded off but Kry Jungle isn't as vibrant as that fly whip. Those exhaust manifolds are killer!

Last edited:
I'm feeling it. Being a spraypaint snob I recommend Belton Molotow or Montana Colors over Krylon. Not so watery, (less coats, drips and build-up), and you'll find a closer match cuz they've got faaaar more colors. Unless of course you were aiming for the aged or discolored variation. It might work with alternate shades layered and sanded off but Kry Jungle isn't as vibrant as that fly whip.
Thanks for the paint recommendation. I had never heard of those brands before. I see Amazon carries them. I like to buy my spray paint locally where I can go in and actually see the colors because people spray them right on the shelves and other cans. :)

I'm feeling it. Being a spraypaint snob I recommend Belton Molotow or Montana Colors over Krylon. Not so watery, (less coats, drips and build-up), and you'll find a closer match cuz they've got faaaar more colors. Unless of course you were aiming for the aged or discolored variation. It might work with alternate shades layered and sanded off but Kry Jungle isn't as vibrant as that fly whip. Those exhaust manifolds are killer!

As a fellow spraypaint snob, *clack* *clack* *clack*, I concur.

Last edited:
Looking great so far, love the idea. My aunt had a lime green muscle car when I was a kid. I loved it.
So this build brings me down memory lane.
1683348757945.png

More work on the tank. Trying to mimic the look of a car front end with a hood scoop.
20230506_200712.jpg
20230506_200730.jpg
20230506_201059.jpg

Need to figure a way to mount the headers...
20230506_201426.jpg

Kind of thinking a rear rack similar to a prewar Shelby might carry through the "coke-bottle" lines of a lot of muscle cars.
100_1.jpg

After reading Ride'em High's comments on spray paint, I decided to look around and see what I could find besides the usual Krylon and Rusty Oleum.
Found this Color Shot at a store near me. Kinda like this one, With a Twist. Looks pretty limey to me. Also want to check the car part stores too.
20230508_173629.jpg

Latest posts

Back