"Nameless No More - Now MONOLITH!"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seat time got me thinking. I've been getting pains in the palms on longer rides. Not the whole palm, just the outside edge. I'm thinking about trying a bar with a little sweep to change the wrist angle. I don't want to shorten the stem yet, I like the handling as is.
I need tires too, more tread because it's always muddy here.
I know people who swear by ergonomic grips for easing palm pain. I’ve never used them.

I know people who swear by ergonomic grips for easing palm pain. I’ve never used them.
I've got a pair in a box. They've got that flat surface at the outside of the grip. Haven't tried them yet, but if stars align correctly, I might finish a mountain bike someday.

I know. It has no seat. But I just rode it for the first time.
IMG_20230706_152552075.jpg
this means that @ingola doesn't have to beat me with my chain whip

Monolith, because one speed Hardrock
IMG_20230706_152621001.jpg

Chainline is still a little funky on the tensioner, but I can deal with that for a minute, I've had to make all kinds of adjustments to make this kit work
IMG_20230706_152608472.jpg

I'll do some testing and adjusting, but I think it'll be ready for camping in a week or two

Yesssssss!!!!!!!! SS rules

View attachment 239858
Complete? I need to take the wheel apart to change gears, this will never be completed! I chucked 32-16 on there, but am already thinking it might be too spinny. Will need to do some testing on hills and features

Monolith is not right yet. It was throwing chains like crazy, usually at the worst possible time View attachment 242101View attachment 242102
Lotsa hills, was a good testing zone. Like, testing my ability to stay chill as I pushed up a hill and the guy on the 1x11 Trek casually rode past...
1. Alignment?
2. Get a good narrow wide chainring to keep it on the front
3. Try a shorter chain and run the chain over the top of your tensioner

IMG_1704.jpeg

1. Alignment?
2. Get a good narrow wide chainring to keep it on the front
3. Try a shorter chain and run the chain over the top of your tensioner

View attachment 242118
You pretty much nailed my To Do list. Both of the rings I'm using were salvaged from the 3x8 system, so the chain wants to shift off. And I think a half link chain will help to shorten it more and tidy it up. Not completely happy with the tensioner either, the urethane wheel is goofy. It just slides on a shaft with nothing to locate it on the axle, and the bearings just slide out of the wheel. This initial test was to see if I would enjoy onespeeding, and in spite of the issues, we passed with flying colors

You pretty much nailed my To Do list. Both of the rings I'm using were salvaged from the 3x8 system, so the chain wants to shift off. And I think a half link chain will help to shorten it more and tidy it up. Not completely happy with the tensioner either, the urethane wheel is goofy. It just slides on a shaft with nothing to locate it on the axle, and the bearings just slide out of the wheel. This initial test was to see if I would enjoy onespeeding, and in spite of the issues, we passed with flying colors
Half link chain should allow you to find a magic gear and not need a tensioner so that’ll be nice. I always advocate a narrow wide front ring

Do odd tooth count rear cogs mess with the narrow wide front? Do they work with halflink chain?
Narrow_Wide_Chainrings_Guide_blog_2.jpg

*Narrow wide is a way of cutting the teeth so they match the links better. Also, they're single speed specific, so all the shifting pins and ramps are not there

Do odd tooth count rear cogs mess with the narrow wide front? Do they work with halflink chain?View attachment 242135
*Narrow wide is a way of cutting the teeth so they match the links better. Also, they're single speed specific, so all the shifting pins and ramps are not there
Odd tooth count shouldn’t matter but many half links won’t pass over the wide in the narrow wide

Race face, SRAM, and the HL1 chain seem to be the exception for most. I have some parts on order so I can check it out for you

Monolith is out of the riding rotation again. Was going to mess around with the spacers again to try and get some alignment, and I discovered that my stupid rack for putting bikes on the car injured yet another bike*. Not happy with the situation, it's one of the kind that clamps down on the top tube, and the clamp shredded my brake cable. So I need one of those now, and a new rack too

* Lil Thundrrr's Miele, the only new bike I've ever purchased, got the paint and stickers destroyed, Snakebite got all scratched up, the Lovely Ms Dice's Hardrock took some too. Ingola wanted to lend me a bike, but I couldn't say yes because I knew what would happen to it

Monolith is out of the riding rotation again. Was going to mess around with the spacers again to try and get some alignment, and I discovered that my stupid rack for putting bikes on the car injured yet another bike*. Not happy with the situation, it's one of the kind that clamps down on the top tube, and the clamp shredded my brake cable. So I need one of those now, and a new rack too

* Lil Thundrrr's Miele, the only new bike I've ever purchased, got the paint and stickers destroyed, Snakebite got all scratched up, the Lovely Ms Dice's Hardrock took some too. Ingola wanted to lend me a bike, but I couldn't say yes because I knew what would happen to it

What kind of rack is it?

Latest posts

Back