The next build off? Plans for the future

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which would interest you?

• Off Road

Votes: 18 48.6%
  • Muscle

Votes: 18 48.6%
  • Skinny

Votes: 22 59.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Awesome. I’d love to follow along with that as well. My dad and I are fixing up his Scout 80 that my grandpa bought new in ‘62.
My Scout is a Scout 80 but it has a Scout 800 body. I’ll post all that stuff up later along with pictures of the memorabilia.

Here is 'The Fake Jaguar Thread'

https://ratrodbikes.com/forum/threads/the-fake-jaguar-thread.116572/

Also, a new skinny bike fell in my lap today. More photos in fresh finds.
8B7D2709-C42D-4D5A-B8A5-AF44DC111A20.jpeg

Super pumped for the Triple Threat Build Off starting Oct 1st! In previous Fall and Winter BOs I have built muscle bikes and klunkers, two of my favorites. Here's a couple photos from my single track ride today in our old apple orchard turned park, across the pond from the BACK40.

It's a turn-of-this-century Schwinn Jaguar frame with a disc brake in the rear, 27.5 x 2.4 knobbies hugging the dirt, and a graveyard motocross handlebar leaning into the turns!

20220924_145621.jpg

20220924_145610.jpg

Last edited:
I put the Wayfarer flyer up on the stand today, and checked it over more thoroughly. I didn’t find any cracks or dents in the frame and only slight evidence of rough factory welding around the dropouts.
C04D0014-2E41-459E-B760-1A55D768AF57.jpeg

The headset is total junk from what I can tell by just wiggling it. I didn’t put any wrenches on this bike yet because the contest hasn’t started.

The chrome is not in perfect shape, but the cotter key crankset appears to be undisturbed and solid. It has correct period pedals on it, but one of the bottle caps is missing. Of course the fenders are missing and the seat’s not original, but otherwise it’s all there.

It’s definitely gonna need some new tires.
3B4D1477-B846-4B90-8DD1-403B7B4FC735.jpeg

Yeah, this probably won’t work in the fatbike contest.

Skinny bikes are not my favorite, but I can do them. I was a happy owner of a Schwinn varsity for a few years. My backup bike is a skinny bike, for when I can’t ride the fun bike.

BTW those tires are 26x1-3/8” but I’m pretty sure I can find some ok 1-1/8” gum wall tires in the local store.

When figuring the time, the 1/2 month of January is due to all the holidays between now and ending and families get upset if you don't partake.
I'm really looking forward to checking in on the Journals when they start being posted.

I have eight grandchildren. I remember the year I built five of them all skateboards, and then following years i built for the others.

I’m definitely not building eight bicycles for Christmas! Five of the grandkids are driving now. They’ll settle for gas money.

I’ll probably only have to build 3. o_O

Latest posts

Back