The next build off? Plans for the future

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which would interest you?

• Off Road

Votes: 18 48.6%
  • Muscle

Votes: 18 48.6%
  • Skinny

Votes: 22 59.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I look at those forks and think that they must be vanadium or spring steel.
All I can tell you there stupid rare because they were stupid expensive. Even now to find one to restore will run you 2000 CND now don't get excited because its 1500 american none were sent down there so almost 2500 in the US

All I can tell you there stupid rare because they were stupid expensive. Even now to find one to restore will run you 2000 CND now don't get excited because its 1500 american none were sent down there so almost 2500 in the US

Yeah you could almost buy a new real American-made bicycle for $2500 now. Well, someof it would be American made.

I have been looking for a long time for a Flyte or even the frame .
Would like the tall frame even though the regular size looks cooler .
But the prices have really been driven up in the last few years even the really rough ones are expensive .
Buddy of mine has a real nice one complete with toolbox seat .

I have been looking for a long time for a Flyte or even the frame .
Would like the tall frame even though the regular size looks cooler .
But the prices have really been driven up in the last few years even the really rough ones are expensive .
Buddy of mine has a real nice one complete with toolbox seat .
Nice I'd love that seat

So then with May still a little ways out, what's everyone thinking for the summer build? Are you going class 1, class 2, both? How's your design or base concept developing?
Putting it out there for a refresher or new info to some of our newer members. Here is an iteration of the previous summer build off rules. Just to keep the juices flowing and get those parts properly aligned

Build Off Rules

• Bike build must begin on or after May 1st, 2022. This isn't a bike show...it's a build off competition. The point is to build a bike and document the progress in the time frame given.
  • You can only enter one bike per class in the build off (can change bike/frames once if needed)
  • Start a new thread in the forum’s Build Off section and use the bike name as the post “Subject/Title.” Keep a running journal in your thread about your build.
  • Must include before, progress, and finished photos (all in one thread)
  • Bike must be ride-able and pedal powered regardless of which class you choose.
  • If the rideability is in question you may be asked to submit video evidence
  • The Build Off will begin at 12 am North American Central Time on May 1st, 2022 and Final finished bike photos must be posted in the “Finished Bikes” thread by 12 noon on Tuesday, September 6, 2022.
  • Any questions about the build off must be submitted in the discussion section.
  • Please be courteous to others and do not fill their build journals with off-topic posts. If it continues after a moderator warning, your account will be nuked.

This whole competition is all in good fun. The whole point is to be creative, build something cool and have fun!

Class 1: Traditional Builds
This class is pretty much bolt-on, mix n' match parts, with no structural modification, i.e. cutting / welding, to the original starting frame. VERY minor modifications are acceptable like grinding off frame tabs, etc. This is more of an old school build category created for folks who may not have pro level fab and welding skills. If it appears that your modifications are too extensive you may be asked to move to Class 2.

Class 2: Anything Goes
This class has no restrictions on frames and forks. Can be completely fabricated from scratch or heavily modified factory frames…feel free to go crazy!

* Electric or gas powered bicycles are acceptable submissions, but they must be pedal powered as well.

So then with May still a little ways out, what's everyone thinking for the summer build? Are you going class 1, class 2, both? How's your design or base concept developing?
I am really hoping that my schedule stays pretty stable as it is currently laid out. If work goes as planned and they don't have me all over the globe again I am really hoping to get down on class 2. Maybe the stars will finally align for me

I am hoping to do either the hybrid trike project or a fatwheel recumbent next. Much depends on getting other projects out of the garage.

Anyhow, our governor sent us all a “relief” check (bribe) so we’d all vote for him again. $700 in my case. Enough to build a real bike?

Well it’s a start. ;)

What is the next type of buildoff after the 2023 summer BO ends?
Sept - Nov 2023 Fallout (haha catchy name...) Muscle/Offroad or Triple Threat?
What we build then may change what I build this summer...
GC.

Cool I recently acquired a bunch of BMX so I'm loaded for Muscle or Off Road either way.
So I'm either building Dath Wathup or a Taco Truck... for the summer BO.
and THAT'S gonna be a hard decision cuz I really wanted to build the Taco Truck but.....

Cool I recently acquired a bunch of BMX so I'm loaded for Muscle or Off Road either way.
So I'm either building Dath Wathup or a Taco Truck... for the summer BO.
and THAT'S gonna be a hard decision cuz I really wanted to build the Taco Truck but.....
Taco Truck? I'm intrigued

ms-POHeeu.gif

Putting it out there for a refresher or new info to some of our newer members. Here is an iteration of the previous summer build off rules. Just to keep the juices flowing and get those parts properly aligned

Build Off Rules
  • Bike build must begin on or after May 1st, 2022. This isn't a bike show...it's a build off competition. The point is to build a bike and document the progress in the time frame given.
  • You can only enter one bike per class in the build off (can change bike/frames once if needed)
  • Start a new thread in the forum’s Build Off section and use the bike name as the post “Subject/Title.” Keep a running journal in your thread about your build.
  • Must include before, progress, and finished photos (all in one thread)
  • Bike must be ride-able and pedal powered regardless of which class you choose.
  • If the rideability is in question you may be asked to submit video evidence
  • The Build Off will begin at 12 am North American Central Time on May 1st, 2022 and Final finished bike photos must be posted in the “Finished Bikes” thread by 12 noon on Tuesday, September 6, 2022.
  • Any questions about the build off must be submitted in the discussion section.
  • Please be courteous to others and do not fill their build journals with off-topic posts. If it continues after a moderator warning, your account will be nuked.

This whole competition is all in good fun. The whole point is to be creative, build something cool and have fun!

Class 1: Traditional Builds
This class is pretty much bolt-on, mix n' match parts, with no structural modification, i.e. cutting / welding, to the original starting frame. VERY minor modifications are acceptable like grinding off frame tabs, etc. This is more of an old school build category created for folks who may not have pro level fab and welding skills. If it appears that your modifications are too extensive you may be asked to move to Class 2.

Class 2: Anything Goes
This class has no restrictions on frames and forks. Can be completely fabricated from scratch or heavily modified factory frames…feel free to go crazy!

* Electric or gas powered bicycles are acceptable submissions, but they must be pedal powered as well.

https://ratrodbikes.com/threads/the-next-build-off-plans-for-the-future.116440/page-16#post-1240720

Aug : off

Sept-Nov 2023 : build-off #3 (technically) with the MBBO (probably go back to the class 1/class 2 format like the old days)

Dec : off

Would love to hear some more folks who are thinking ahead to the next one

Who's doing what? Now is the perfect time to start building in your head, sketching on paper, and collecting parts

Latest posts

Back