The next build off? Plans for the future

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which would interest you?

• Off Road

Votes: 18 48.6%
  • Muscle

Votes: 18 48.6%
  • Skinny

Votes: 22 59.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
41117B3D-64E3-413B-80C9-4DC0E5CE3328.jpeg
I sent this photo to a friend last summer after he seen me riding my class 2 build and said we could do better. So looking forward to what happens with this while trying to decide What frame I want to use for class 1

Can't start a build before the date, but can lay out parts to get ideas. I'll need more money to begin with. Time to take the wife out to dinner and see a movie! 👩‍❤️‍👨

2023 planning.jpg

I’m torn:

Idea 1: tribute bike for family friend: fix up black Raleigh sport with 2 doner bikes
A38478C2-ABF7-464D-B704-4713D7DA39FF.jpeg
9E0E08AB-C635-44E9-9F09-6BB15E864B39.jpeg
C71E1E4A-0E88-45B4-92F3-5516880398A9.jpeg

Idea 2: Super klunk’: with hand made tank and headlight
C8E83B39-C8E1-406D-AE7A-8C83F0D3945F.jpeg

Idea 3: Manta Rust: Make 26” manta ray with crazy FFS
F8BA4ABB-0ABD-4E4B-A36C-637AF7936124.jpeg

2BB5ABC7-2B4B-48E0-AB50-73AC8F930744.jpeg

And, I have some other options too: the green Schwinn step through is looking cooler by the day.
C1EB5E1A-C07D-4E93-9F69-4B1566F578F1.jpeg
2F372D5E-03CF-49EA-B0CE-F8503848A720.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m torn:

Idea 1: tribute bike for family friend: fix up black Raleigh sport with 2 doner bikes
View attachment 225960View attachment 225961View attachment 225962

Idea 2: Super klunk’: with hand made tank and headlight
View attachment 225963

Idea 3: Manta Rust: Make 26” manta ray with crazy FFS
View attachment 225964
View attachment 225965

And, I have some other options too: the green Schwinn step through is looking cooler by the day.
View attachment 225966View attachment 225967
#2 or #3 👍

I’m really into English 3 speeds. However I’m more interested in restoring them than ratrodding. Option 2 or 3 seem to have the most modify potential. I will follow any of those builds.
I definitely would not rat rod the Raleigh…. -if you’ve seen any of my builds, they’re all very similar: original patina with new drive train, brakes and maybe wheels with a modern ‘creature feature’ or two.

No one wants to see the Raleigh built, but I think I could make it into an epic cool, yet highly useful gentlemen’s cruiser.

I would love to see your take on the Raleigh! However, I feel like the other two options would be bigger vote getters. Maybe save it for the next skinny tire event
Thanks Matti! The bike‘s owner was an NBA player back in the day: he played for the Detroit Pistons before they were actually the pistons……. He was 6’ 7”…. Im closer to 5’ 7” !!!! Lol

I’d definitely need to lower the bars and seat. all the cables need replaced, the fork is bent and fenders need swapped Too…. put a brooks saddle on there.

I’d scab that rear rack off the step through and paint it black to match the frame: I’d like to find some sort of front rack, also color keyed black, to balance out the rear rack.

I’d leave the doner fenders, fork and chain guard the original color (I think I’d end up using the green): I’d hit all painted parts with a satin finish or BLO, throw on a headlight and find a pump.... Boom!

Last edited:
Thanks Matti! The bike‘s owner was an NBA player back in the day: he played for the Detroit Pistons before they were actually the pistons……. He was 6’ 7”…. Im closer to 5’ 7” !!!! Lol

I’d definitely need to lower the bars and seat. all the cables need replaced, the fork is bent and fenders need swapped Too…. put a brooks saddle on there.

I’d scab that rear rack off the step through and paint it black to match the frame: I’d like to find some sort of front rack, also color keyed black, to balance out the rear rack.

I’d leave the doner fenders, fork and chain guard the original color (I think I’d end up using the green): I’d hit all painted parts with a satin finish or BLO, throw on a headlight and find a pump.... Boom!
I have a box of pumps

Talk to Ingola. Every bike he has ever ridden is like that

I definitely would not rat rod the Raleigh…. -if you’ve seen any of my builds, they’re all very similar: original patina with new drive train, brakes and maybe wheels with a modern ‘creature feature’ or two.

No one wants to see the Raleigh built, but I think I could make it into an epic cool, yet highly useful gentlemen’s cruiser.
I get that my go to bikes are English cruisers @MattiThundrrr knows my love for the Raleighs but I don't use them in build offs and can't rat rod them up. Love to polish and shine. Few leather bits.

@MattiThundrrr knows my love for the Raleighs but I don't use them in build offs and can't rat rod them up
I'd love to see you turn one into a trail bike. A tribute to the Rough Stuff Fellowship, off road riders from before the mountain bike was invented.
the-rough-stuff-fellowship-an-off-roading-bicycle-club-v0-nanr1nms1yu91.jpg

246070-1400-001-0020.jpg

You know they're hardcore, they brought proper tea!
2___credit__RSFarchive.0.jpeg

Latest posts

Back