The next build off? Plans for the future

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which would interest you?

• Off Road

Votes: 18 48.6%
  • Muscle

Votes: 18 48.6%
  • Skinny

Votes: 22 59.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
4169AA0B-4375-4482-B094-6685C6C0B9B3.jpeg
Forgot about this scrap pile save I got when buying the woman’s monark for its fork. Probably wouldn’t win anything but may try this if I can get it into class one. Not sure how old the modified top tube is but the welds are ugly

View attachment 226736Forgot about this scrap pile save I got when buying the woman’s monark for its fork. Probably wouldn’t win anything but may try this if I can get it into class one. Not sure how old the modified top tube is but the welds are ugly
I’m building a Raleigh 3 speed: fat tires win this build Off….. I build for fun, use and camaraderie, any votes are just added fun!

I'm not building a burrito.
I'm building a taco truck. (class 2)
Keeping my eyes open for a vintage cooler...
and
I'm thinking Dath Wathup for the MBBO Fallout.

Last edited:
I’m really itching to document another build here. I just counted 12 bikes in my storage unit that need to be resurrected. I’ve got one picked out for the build off. Something new to me. Made in France! Are there guidelines beyond class 1 and 2?

I’m really itching to document another build here. I just counted 12 bikes in my storage unit that need to be resurrected. I’ve got one picked out for the build off. Something new to me. Made in France! Are there guidelines beyond class 1 and 2?
[/QUOTE
Bike build must begin on or after May 1st, 2022. This isn't a bike show...it's a build off competition. The point is to build a bike and document the progress in the time frame given.
You can only enter one bike per class in the build off (can change bikes once if needed)
Start a new thread in the forum’s Build Off section and use the bike name as the post “Subject/Title.” Keep a running journal in your thread about your build.
Must include before, progress, and finished photos (all in one thread please)
Bike must be ride-able and pedal powered.
The Build Off #17 will begin at 12 am North American Central Time on May 1st, 2022 and Final finished bike photos must be posted in the “Finished Bikes” thread by 12 noon on Tuesday, September 6, 2022.
Any questions about the build off must be submitted in the discussion section.
Please be courteous to others and do not fill their build journals with off-topic posts. If it continues after a moderator warning, your account will be nuked.

This whole competition is all in good fun. The whole point is to be creative, build something cool and have fun!

Class 1: Traditional Builds
This class is pretty much bolt-on, mix n' match parts, with no structural modification, i.e. cutting / welding, to the original starting frame. Very minor modifications are acceptable like adding brackets, grinding off tabs, etc. This is more of an old school build category created for folks who may not have pro level fab and welding skills. If it appears that your modifications are too extensive you may be asked to move to Class 2. Below is an example of a build that would fit in Class 1.

Bike build must begin on or after May 1st, 2022. This isn't a bike show...it's a build off competition. The point is to build a bike and document the progress in the time frame given.
You can only enter one bike per class in the build off (can change bikes once if needed)
Start a new thread in the forum’s Build Off section and use the bike name as the post “Subject/Title.” Keep a running journal in your thread about your build.
Must include before, progress, and finished photos (all in one thread please)
Bike must be ride-able and pedal powered.
The Build Off #17 will begin at 12 am North American Central Time on May 1st, 2022 and Final finished bike photos must be posted in the “Finished Bikes” thread by 12 noon on Tuesday, September 6, 2022.
Any questions about the build off must be submitted in the discussion section.
Please be courteous to others and do not fill their build journals with off-topic posts. If it continues after a moderator warning, your account will be nuked.

This whole competition is all in good fun. The whole point is to be creative, build something cool and have fun!

Class 1: Traditional Builds
This class is pretty much bolt-on, mix n' match parts, with no structural modification, i.e. cutting / welding, to the original starting frame. Very minor modifications are acceptable like adding brackets, grinding off tabs, etc. This is more of an old school build category created for folks who may not have pro level fab and welding skills. If it appears that your modifications are too extensive you may be asked to move to Class 2.

Here is the gitane I am planning to use in the BO. The head badge is just a cheap sticker which makes me question if this is a real gitane? I don’t plan to touch this until the BO begins. But I suppose dissembling and cleaning parts would be OK to do ahead of time? I wont have time to touch this until May. Just curious.

Also a few other bikes for future projects in the background.

Attachments

• IMG_2292.MOV
    39.9 MB
Here is the gitane I am planning to use in the BO. The head badge is just a cheap sticker which makes me question if this is a real gitane? I don’t plan to touch this until the BO begins. But I suppose dissembling and cleaning parts would be OK to do ahead of time? I wont have time to touch this until May. Just curious.

Love ‘em all!!!!!

If it’s French and old it will have a French thread bb that is righty tightly both sides. The pedals will be metric threads. The quill will have a smaller diameter than standard and the seat post might be a weird size. Some of these older French bikes were built with smaller diameter tubing making the seat post a small size. The crank arm threads to pull the arms very likely won’t be standard. Old Park square taper pullers came with a fitting for both French and BSA threading but the new ones don’t. If it’s new enough I could be all standard. If it’s all there you might have to use what is there as substitutes can be tricky and expensive. Just a heads up incase you didn't know.

It was an acquired taste…. But I’m soft on Schwinn: what’s the red Schwinn you have there?

if I can source a 60s racing bike frame to build this summer, then I'll join the B.O. That's the only additional bike I want right now. I'd like to have a racing bike as old as me for my ride-your-age ride in September.

if I can source a 60s racing bike frame to build this summer, then I'll join the B.O. That's the only additional bike I want right now. I'd like to have a racing bike as old as me for my ride-your-age ride in September.
Ride your age sounds like a fun idea

I would try and pull it apart now. This will tell you if it’s made from old style French parts or standard. My 70s Peugeot is all old French standards. Someone stripped the crank removal threads by trying to use a BSA puller. I got it off using a pickle fork and pry bars. A bearing splitter and a clamp also will pull the crank off if the pickle fork won’t work.
FE10C515-8BF7-4C85-83D1-FE76334CE871.jpeg

I have a 60s East German track bike that is all metric. I re threaded the fork to standard. I had some nice racing pedals but they were 9/16. I used thread cutting oil and threaded them into the metric threads, making sure they weren’t cross threaded. Aluminum crank arms. I’ve used this fixed gear bike climbing and descending scary hills for 4 years and the pedals are no problem. I’m not sure that taking them on and off would be a good idea. I have pedal taps but I was too lazy to use them. The next owner will be cussing me. They went on a little hard. If you want different pedals and your crank is metric threaded you could try this.

Might sound crazy, but I’m hoping to run into a challenge or two. That is the fun part. I probably won’t have a chance to touch it until the build off. I have a Raleigh Sprite in the stand and am about to head out of town for spring break. The cranks have cotter pins. Not sure what my plan is for the build. Just going to take it apart and see what happens.

Latest posts

Back