The Penguin's Revenge

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here's pics of the build of my wife's bike.
Here's how i got it. Not bad, but wife wanted to make it hers(meaning she wanted a new color and a set of smaller gears so it was easier for her to pedal and keep up with me). She's been riding it like this for a few months...
2699151459_6fd723ed4f.jpg

And the frame, now dressed in black...
2717280200_8622f7797e.jpg

A detail of her headstock(disclaimer: I'm no artist)
2716466993_db3435bf68.jpg

And her chainguard(see above disclaimer)
2716466921_db46cfcb55.jpg

I'll keep you all posted... I'm doing this build at the same time as my build-off(the CheapLiner). I didn't think this was enough of a build to qualify for the build-off so here it is.

Yeah. I asked her what it's name would be and she picked that... She didn't want me to buy a decal for it so I had to give it a go with a brush. She's got a plethora of stuffed penguins so she can shoose what one she wants to ride with her for the day. :mrgreen:

TheFlyingDingo said:
i cant let my girlfriend see this bike
She would flip and want me to build her one just like it
She's into penguins too huh? Like I said I'm no artist... But I think it turned out ok thus far... I'm gonna clearcoat it so it stays nice for her... She's more into the "classic" look than the rat look. But she puts up with me so...

I brushed it... My hand's not that steady, but I really didn't feel like doing it stencil-style with tape...
And thanks for the compliments guys. Really appreciated. I can't wait for it to be done... I am gonna keep it skiptooth. Langsmer has offered me girls bike-sized drive sprocket so It'll stay a skippy. :) But I may put it together with a standard chain just so I can get it up and rollin'

So here's the Penguin's Revenge. I finished it up last night. Although its "done", it may not really be "done". I still plan on switching it back to skip-tooth. But the wheels need painted first. And I have never masked off and painted wheels. I think we're gonna go with whie spokes and hub and a black rim to help offset the whitewalls... But for now it's done. My wife wanted her bike back and like I've said before, if Momma aint happy aint nobody happy(my grandpa taught me that).

2735240525_d261c5527e.jpg

Here's a full view of the Penguin's Revenge. I'm pretty pleased with the results(for the most part) of my first tear-down and build-up.

2735241065_1ea8723c16.jpg

Here's a pic with my lovely wife at the helm... She thinks that only kids learning how to ride get their pictures taken while riding bikes.

2735240179_4df4d92083.jpg

And here's another close-up of the chainguard... This and the fenders were my biggest disappointments... Some reason the clearcoat I used hazed into a brownish color some places... Maybe I put it on too thick, I dunno... I was set to sand down and re-paint, but my wife said it just makes it look old and she liked it. She's so great. I dunno if she really thought that or could just see my frustration, but she seems happy. :wink:

So there you have it. There's my first real build. I'm pretty happy with it. But one of my favorite things about rat rods is they're never really finished. So don't be suprised if you see more pictures up here with different wheels, bars, etc. Sometimes when i look at the bike I think it needs some pinstriping on the frame and fenders, but I don't yet have the skills to do it justice. I'll do some practicing and someday...

Oh by the way. A list of parts:
Hawthorne frame, fork, fenders, and rack
Crank, pedals and chaingear from a coast to coast donor bike
wheels, tire and seat from a Chinese Schwinn cruiser Walmart Special(bought becasue I couldn't get a set of wheel and tires cheaper than this whole bike which also has decent-looking ducktail fenders and a retro-ish rack...)
New Holland brand(ValSpar) spray paint
Duplicolor wheel and rim clearcoat(don't use this stuff. it sucks.)

Thanks guys. Like I said at the beginning its not much of a build. More of a refurbishment really... New suit, new shoes... Still i'm proud of how it turned out. And my wife digs it. :mrgreen:

Back