The Rat chopper!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was out doing an estimate for an interior on a Hot Rod today. When we started to talk about bikes, So out back we go and what should I see under the hay and dirt and tarps
:shock: :shock: :D

IMG_0497.jpg

IMG_0498.jpg

A RatRod Bike!!!!!!

The guy said it was a father son build from a long time ago and has been long forgoten. So I asked what he would like for it?

His answer was...... well if you recover this seat in the kitchen it's yours!
needless to say it's now in my garage! There are a few things that need to be fixed and changed but its all good!

Cool bike, definatly the find of the week. I also like the chain guides and the front edn really jumps out at me. Ride on...Kelly

the rain stopped so we had to ride!!

man what a blast! it was hard with the big 24s up front.....and the way it is mounted to the front tip of the fork did not help....lol

so out came the grinder and welder!

IMG_0499.jpg

this is just temp but man what a difference! with this pitch the handle bars would not drop so hard when you turned

We also tried different tire sizes ...we found the 20" to be the best choice for look. ( It a 16" in the picture )

IMG_0500.jpg

love to hear some input about mods, I have a few ideas...

Well first thing is to change the seat! man my Boys hurt lol. the original builder just welded the bike stem to the bike ...... so I plan to cut that off and weld in proper tube. Then I'll get a stem that will alow me to move the seat up and then back. then find myself a nice "Cloud Nine" or "Felt" seat

I wish I could put a 26" but there is no more room...however I belive there is room for a 3" :D and yes a fender is a must!

the top bars on the fork I was thinking of changing to twisted iron rod and then change the handle bars to the moon bars.

Today I had a little time so I went to work on the forks. I started by cutting off the flames and the iron cross head badge, then I removed all the rust from the front

IMG_0509.jpg

IMG_0505.jpg

the next big thing was to clean up all the welds in and around the forks and head

IMG_0506.jpg

IMG_0511.jpg

I had some primer black to cover up what has been done. later I will add some build primer and a little body fill to give it a real smooth finish. Much more grinding to be done!

IMG_0507.jpg

I really dig the look of the fork on this one, too bad it doesnt appear to be a functional springer... its got neat lines.

HUGE improvement cutting the iron cross and flames off too!

Back