The Schwinn no one wanted

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here she is! Apparently the most dreaded Schwinn of all time!!!! Lol

It’s a 1960 Schwinn Tornado, 24”.

So, I confess, I bought the bike for a song as a part of a truckload buy.

I had no idea what it was when I grabbed it, other than it had a Schwinn head badge on it and had a funky frame.

After some research, I learned the frame was called a “double straight bar” and had a very limited production.

Great!!! -make some money on this puppy!!!!!

NOT! Lol

So, I listed it for $150 on Facebook and CL. -A few sniffs.... no visits.

A month goes by; drop the price to $125.... a few sniffs, no visits.

Another 6 weeks go by..... nothing.

I LOVE the frame!!!! Why doesn’t anyone else!!?????

So, No Schwinn purists were out there interested.... I saved the thing from the scrapyard for Pete’s sake!!!!!! These Schwinn guys are a picky bunch!

you think it was dreaded before I got my hands on it????! Just wait!!!!

I give up!!!!! Since no one out there was interested in this thing, I’m building this sled!!!!
366872F2-F4E2-42E4-BF22-66E3FC3BE59A.jpeg

1B3198AD-F145-4DBE-8840-9748B6BB570F.jpeg

399A7F95-BBCB-4274-A0DC-4A88770877B9.jpeg

11DF2880-1F33-4D67-8026-23722E9C77AB.jpeg

Another reason I decided to build this thing was, after the RRBO, I had an extra set of 24” wheels and decent tires.

It’s a “short putt” to bring this thing back to life.

The Rolumbiafast wheels I replaced with new, though rusty, are super cool and have black pinstripes on them.

The wheels on this pig are thrashed. Not original Schwinn either, I don’t think.

If they are, it doesn’t matter, no one would buy the thing anyway, so I’ll just put them in the scrap pile.

I put some tape on the spokes; I’d like to stay with the rattlecan spray bomb idea the previous owner put on their wheels. thinking of painting with metalcast paint to keep the pinstripes
D4336CF7-5860-44AA-BB11-6F82D9A2195C.jpeg

Last edited:
If we didn't have that border between us, I might have moved on that one. I'm going to need to build a bigger rat for Thundrrr Jr if I can ever knock him off his Electra. I don't get the lack of love for the older 24s. That Navy Girl bike too, I know a few shorties that would fit on it as well.

If we didn't have that border between us, I might have moved on that one. I'm going to need to build a bigger rat for Thundrrr Jr if I can ever knock him off his Electra. I don't get the lack of love for the older 24s. That Navy Girl bike too, I know a few shorties that would fit on it as well.
Thanks Matti!!!

The 24’s, with exception to a few muscle bikes are basically worthless.

I think they’re great and needed by a lot of people. Hand brakes, 18 gears, suspension front ends..... most people don’t need that. -Just an over complicated bike that will be out of tune quickly, left in a corner then sold in a garage sale for a fraction of what was paid for it.

24”, single speed, coaster brake with storage and carrying capacity..... that bike will get used.....

Oh what a sad day for the Schwinn no one wanted!!!

Ha-Ha!!!!

Getting rained on today: what a soggy day!!!!

2 flat, dry rotted tires, a broken spoke, no chain, a missing pedal, no seat and no one to ride!!!

HA-HA!!!

If I didn’t pull that thing out of the heap it would be rebar right now going into a road project getting concrete poured on it!!!!

It may be worth more as yard art!!!!
B45BAFF3-BB81-4460-BDB6-6A5640C3BA91.jpeg

BA4DBB9E-AA0F-41BF-88E7-BD95F015F9D1.jpeg

I love my '61. It's one of 2 Schwinns I bought from a guy on the side of the road... 30 bucks each. This one had bondo stuffed in the head tube keeping the gooseneck afloat. That was around 30 years ago, I wish I'd built it up sooner.
Mine is a 24" as well and it's my go-to bike. I can't wait to see what you do with it.

View attachment 170174
I love my '61. It's one of 2 Schwinns I bought from a guy on the side of the road... 30 bucks each. This one had bondo stuffed in the head tube keeping the gooseneck afloat. That was around 30 years ago, I wish I'd built it up sooner.
Mine is a 24" as well and it's my go-to bike. I can't wait to see what you do with it.
Love that build!!!!

wicked cool bike!

do you ride it far or just tool around the neighborhood ?

Love that build!!!!

wicked cool bike!

do you ride it far or just tool around the neighborhood ?
There’s a lot of detail in that thing too…. The seat is super cool…the bell….. your handlebars and gooseneck….. clean, light wheels…. Pedals, crank, chain….a lot of really unique details and the super clean paint job to finish it off.

There’s a lot of detail in that thing too…. The seat is super cool…the bell….. your handlebars and gooseneck….. clean, light wheels…. Pedals, crank, chain….a lot of really unique details and the super clean paint job to finish it off.
Thanks!
It's great for those neighborhood rides after work and small grocery trips. I'm overdue for a Sunday ride downtown.
Can't wait to see your progress!

man i wish i could find another Schwinn 24" frame for a decent price. i like stingray bikes, but 20" is waaay too small for my fat b__t. and 26" bikes look weird to me with a 'nanner seat.

Check these out. My last two rrbbo entries.
Both are built up on small 26" frames with 24" wheels. They look more normal but are a good size for adults. I'm 5.8ish and they fit me well and ride good. The 24" aluminum rims are faster than 20s and handle well. The white is a 1971 Schwinn Racer frameset in the smallest size with the curved top tube. Schwinn sold the racers in 4 or 5 frame sizes back then. The larger sizes all have straight top tubes. The green is an early Huffy mtb. I put a rigid fork on it. The huffy is far lighter weight and rides better than the Schwinn. Putting 24s in a 26 frame allows for fatter tires.

I agree that apes and bananas on a full size bike look mis-porportioned but going half way works.

I have several 24" vintage Schwinns. No one wants them. 50s girls Hornet, 50s lightweight girls World (cant get tires for that), 60s Typhoon boys. And a 24" Tony Hawk bmx cruiser.

rrb (4) by rickpaulos, on Flickr

Check these out. My last two rrbbo entries.
Both are built up on small 26" frames with 24" wheels. They look more normal but are a good size for adults. I'm 5.8ish and they fit me well and ride good. The 24" aluminum rims are faster than 20s and handle well. The white is a 1971 Schwinn Racer frameset in the smallest size with the curved top tube. Schwinn sold the racers in 4 or 5 frame sizes back then. The larger sizes all have straight top tubes. The green is an early Huffy mtb. I put a rigid fork on it. The huffy is far lighter weight and rides better than the Schwinn. Putting 24s in a 26 frame allows for fatter tires.

I agree that apes and bananas on a full size bike look mis-porportioned but going half way works.

I have several 24" vintage Schwinns. No one wants them. 50s girls Hornet, 50s lightweight girls World (cant get tires for that), 60s Typhoon boys. And a 24" Tony Hawk bmx cruiser.

rrb (4) by rickpaulos, on Flickr
Thanks for the input!!!!

I would have never suspected those are 24" wheels w/ ~26" frames!!!

Latest posts

Back