The Shadow

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome, thats one of the few vehicles I would be afraid to ride...
I must restart building mine!!

Thanks guys for liken' my bike. I always wanted this bike and it will be worth it, every penny, every minute. I've got more money into bolts and nuts than I have in anything else. The rest is parts that I have either found or have been given. The biggest part of the build is time. Lots of time in this bike.

I have to thank Steve and his website for this bike building thing. I can't say enough what this bike community has done for custom bike builds for the average guy on this planet. Thanks again Steve.

Now Artgeco, about this kickstand, I got this from another build. Be nice, it can kick back.

Nickdaddy the seat idea is cool but I don't want to get hung up in it when dismounting. Maybe it would look real nice on a bike like this with a single tube backbone 8) . I was thinking on the lines of a hinged front with springs in the back with a low as I can go profile. I'm making a cardboard template of my other tallbike where I can judge where I'm putting the bottom bracket and seat along with the handlebar height. Oh, and its about a foot taller in the seat than my Ross Tallbike.

Gdcast, get back to your build I want to see it.

Cody thanks and the Huffy swing bike frame is yours, next time I travel your way I'll bring it. I've got enough of them now and I can't think of a better person to give it to that would enjoy it as much as you would......well maybe KOTA... wait I know he's verticaly challenged but maybe he's peripherally challenged also :shock: ....dunno I'm sure I'll find out :wink: ...........

Later bros

GL

Done for the day.

TheShadow-31.jpg

Welded up the lower bar.........chest high bar......

TheShadow-32.jpg

I made a full size cardboard assisted drawing (CAD) to aid in placing the cranks.

TheShadow-33.jpg

It's a pretty good leaner now. I finished up the welds, mostly, but still have more. I got other things to weld on yet but I'm getting there. Took another scooter ride down the street. Still sweet. Frame is as stiff as it's going to get. The forks have some flex but is acceptable. There is one other thing I was going to add to the forks to stiffen'em up but I don't think it's a big deal.

Later ..........

Graylock

Not saying anything, 'til i see a seat and pedals on it.........You definitely are a "child" of the 60's. Today, everybody wants to get LOW. You just want to get HIGH (man). :)

TheShadow-32.jpg

I made a full size cardboard assisted drawing (CAD) to aid in placing the cranks.
"CAD" drawing! Funny! This is one creative bike,sir!

KOTA said:
Not saying anything, 'til i see a seat and pedals on it.........You definitely are a "child" of the 60's. Today, everybody wants to get LOW. You just want to get HIGH (man). :)

Not everyone is going low. You raised your old butt up a few inches. Seat and pedal's?...............Thats all I need to take a ride on this thing.
This thing is as tall as the bong I saw in the '60's. :shock: Almost.

jezusjonz said:
Wow........thats one cool .... build. Looks almost like you could ride someone below the crank. Heck add another and make them help with the pedaling..
Very cool
Terry

I was thinking of this a few months ago. I was disappointed today when my head hits the lower bar. Thats ok 'cause where else would I put the cooler 8) .

GL

I needed a jack shaft of a sort to reroute the chain line. I took an old French road bike and hacked off the crank. I unbolted the outer ring keeping the smaller of the two. I found another ring with the same bolt pattern on a Raleigh road bike and drilling the bolt holes I put it on the French cranks. Came out like this.
TheShadow-34.jpg

After welding it on and running some chain it looked like this
TheShadow-35.jpg

I need a chain tensioner on the upper chain.

I need to ride this thing now but I got family things to do now.
TheShadow-36.jpg

GL

it looks awesome and looks like it will ride like a dream
just by looking at the seat - handlebar and pedal posisions, its perfect

brakes yet??

have fun

Thanks Nickdaddy........ It has a working coaster brake and without a chain tensioner on the upper chain I feel that it may pop off the chain ring and no brakes but that is a risk with any coaster brake. Whats the big deal when the brakes fail on a burrito, you drag your heels? The pedals on the Shadow are about 5' off the ground and the top of my head is about 9'. With this said I'm willing to give it a try if I can get home before dark tommorow. That and a witness with a cell phone :lol:

I sat on it before I put it away today and it's up there :shock: I have also been scooting out on the street with this trying to figure out how I'm going climb up on the roll. My Ross Tallbike at least has tubes to climb up on and the the top bike is a ladies with a step through to get on. Most time I can get up on the Ross in about 10' or less. I was planing on a lower cargo rack on the bottom tube with a cooler in it. This will work to climb up on. I guess I need a booster step in the cargo hold at all times :roll: :lol: .

As long as you can reach the bars you can climb up on a roll. If by chance you have a suggestion and have never ridden a tall bike I will laugh. I've seen the tripple deckers but you guys have all those bikes to scramble up. Without welding steps on this, it will be trial and error.

GL

Insanely COOL! One suggestion..............ASk Danimal to ride it first....Betcha he'd look good on it!

i see why you wouldn't put a hairpin seat now too!! lol
i rode a real 5 foot, high wheel {bonecrusher} bike when i was a kid -- and it had no brakes ,its got a fixed
crank like a babys tricycle... so your coaster is fine...atleast you got brakes

what size wheels on it 26" or 20"

how will you be getting on it? from the side or up the back bone?
how do you get on the other tall bike?...

I wouldn't be worried about climbing up there, you´ll find the way; I would worry my self about getting down, although it´s easier; I´m sure It can be pretty painful :D
Bike is insane, I love it, glad to see you´ll be able to finish before D-day, congrats!

I got home from work before the sun set, fed the dog, and got my oldest to take pictures. I have a video but that will be for later.

Here's Graylock repeating the mantra " It's only nine feet, It's only nine feet" before pushing off. Only kidding, I pushed off as soon as I could!
TheShadow-37.jpg

TheShadow-38.jpg

TheShadow-39.jpg

I took a picture when I was up on the bike.
TheShadow-40.jpg

I realized then that the handle bars were either set crooked or I had not tightened them. For real, I took it back to the unloading zone for the dismount. Just crooked.

I can't tell you how cool this thing rides, it boggles the mind! Live long and prosper Tall Bikers!

Graylock

Latest posts

Back