The Shadow

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The Shadow is my second build off project and you will find the build here http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=20566 . Anything goes build off lead me on a run with a grinder in one hand and a welder in another. I had collected some curved pipe from the landfill and I thought it would make a great tall bike but it was not on my list to do this year. I had a busy year with a few bikes including five swingbikes but I managed to squeeze this off as my last build of the year.

Some parts with a plan.
MockUp-02.jpg

The problems I ran into were chain management. I used a bottom bracket from a French made road bike, using the smaller chain ring along with a Raleigh chain ring of the same size. This chain needed a tensioner that I made from a freewheel of a BMX bike. I cut the rear hub and ground the back flat. I then
removed the pawls and put it back together. Then making a mount out of a MTB stem, I welded on a washer with a stud so I could bolt it to the idler.

FinishedShadow-07.jpg
FinishedShadow-08.jpg

FinishedShadow-09.jpg

The plan from the begining had a cargo area. I finished the floor with bamboo stair treads that I had taken from work. All parts were either left over from other projects or taken from old bikes. The only thing that I bought new were the cruiser tires and a few nuts and bolts.

FinishedShadow-01.jpg

FinishedShadow-02.jpg

FinishedShadow-03.jpg

FinishedShadow-04.jpg

FinishedShadow-05.jpg
FinishedShadow-06.jpg

I have a video that you will find on You Tube that I promised Larry but I can remember which one so it's to both of you. http://www.youtube.com/user/GraylockVideos#p/a/u/0/swJOgBYCOWA

Yes it does ride.

FinishedShadow-10.jpg

Graylock

Wow...if I wasnt scared of heights......very thought out design Gray...and the paint and lower carriage area just icing on the cake. I think if you drove by me on the street I would probably break my neck turning around so fast to get another look. Excellent excellent bike.
Terry

That is the best "FREAKIN" bike made! PERIOD!......I never thought I'd be saying this. Please, please, I WANNA try it!.....I'll understand if ya won't let me, so I've already gone done cellar and sat "scrunched" up next to my Coleman cooler. I'm pretty sure I can fit on the bottom, while you ride..........I can hold the bike while you get on and off. Sorta like the tag along mechanic of yesteryear racing. There are a lot of very cool bikes in this BO, but I love this bike....and you got my vote..............LARRY

:shock: ...wow ..nice job .watch out for low wires and treelimbs :lol: at least the dogs cant bite you up ther :lol: does it have a chainguard i wouldnt want my pant leg to get cought in that chain thats along ways down :idea: nice job.....

Dang GL!!!! nice build! easily my favorite tall bike :mrgreen:

you could throw a chain guard on upside-down and sit two small kids in the cargo rack (playing jacks & sippin' juice boxes) :wink:

i'm interested on knowing how to get way up there and get going before any tip overs :lol:

Using my 5 year old grandson's favorite exspression, OOOH MAANNNN!

Latest posts

Back