The Shelbinator. 37 Shelby Y Frame Muscle Truck

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the tight security of the 'inside' wheels on the wheelie bar, it is a good look.

I have never, ever done a wheelie on a bicycle, intentionally, I waited until I had an engine down there. I used to commonly pull a wheelie while pulling from a junction and turning, and if I had a wheelie bar fitted then I would not want it/them wider than the rear tire, otherwise it would hit the ground early during the turn.

...if I had a wheelie bar fitted then I would not want it/them wider than the rear tire, otherwise it would hit the ground early during the turn.
Skate trucks help to alleviate that issue.
39652-101-2354.jpg

Since you will only need them during hard launch from the line you should be fine by shifting weight forward to keep the front wheel down & centered to keep straight. There are no turns in the Quarter mile.......

Skate trucks help to alleviate that issue.
39652-101-2354.jpg
I've seen a few different people start off a large group ride and the entire ride in a wheelie and their front tire never touches the ground for miles on end. Even on 16"pit bikes. Without a wheelie bar.

I'm not that skilled at riding on one wheel and with a tall sissy, just keeping a wheelie up can be a little sketchy without dragging my butt on the ground a time or two.

TRMs solution above would allow someone less skilled like myself to use the back wheel and bar to ride and steer without needing to bring the front end down.

Since you will only need them during hard launch from the line you should be fine by shifting weight forward to keep the front wheel down & centered to keep straight. There are no turns in the Quarter mile.......
Hard launch from the line I'm always standing throughout any drag race, maximizing my torque and never give up any by letting the front come off the ground or my rear touch the seat

Hard launch from the line I'm always standing throughout any drag race, maximizing my torque and never give up any by letting the front come off the ground or my rear touch the seat

Of course! Gotta keep traction. Tire temperature/pressure are important as well as track temp. :thumbsup: :giggle: With all that power going to one wheel minor changes can have a big effect.

I’m definitely feeling your hip pain. I do glucosamine and am thinking about yoga. 🤣
Glucosamine Chondroitin is what I use for hip pain. I have found that if GC is going to help you you'll know in a week of use. I use a 3x dose with one pill a day. This has kept a bad hip at bay for over 30 years. If I stop taking GC my hip starts hurting so bad that I can't walk.

I finished up the wheels of wheelie bar. Found some roller blade wheels locally that worked perfect with the right combination of hardware and spacers. Debating on diagonal position. I’m sure it’s strongest where it is at with this triangulation. But kind of wanting that old retro funny car look. View attachment 215234View attachment 215231View attachment 215232View attachment 215233
What a sweet wheelie bar. At my age I more or less imagine riding a wheelie but the bar would help other people imagining me riding a wheelie.

Glucosamine Chondroitin is what I use for hip pain. I have found that if GC is going to help you you'll know in a week of use. I use a 3x dose with one pill a day. This has kept a bad hip at bay for over 30 years. If I stop taking GC my hip starts hurting so bad that I can't walk.
I use that too. I recently stopped taking it and had major hip pain, so bad I could barely walk. It's good to know it's helped you for 30 years! I'm hoping to not need any replacements till I retire.

Tonight I messed with the wheelie bars and also the rear lighting brackets. I have a bit more fabrication work to do before I tear it down and get ready for paint. Made all the P clamps and got it all the way I envisioned. The front wheel was a mother to get the silver anodizing off. Everything polished and ready for re lacing.
19F42424-D36E-44B0-AC0E-2BCBDFEF0C68.jpeg
0DBCA740-22F2-4B9E-BEF2-8879BA873EC6.jpeg
8D22EEC9-DEA3-4B9A-9E62-3D80E57C75A8.jpeg
C095C98D-25D7-41BC-9175-D50DA8937DD3.jpeg
AA78109D-6C73-4381-BA66-3D598E7D5108.jpeg
760C5AE1-0BB0-4AA9-BCF8-10ACA9A1255A.jpeg

Looking good!

Wheels trued up and cleaned up today. Went pretty fast. I must be getting better.
It don't hurt that you have an actual truing stand! I typically use zip ties on a frame. lol

Looking good!

It don't hurt that you have an actual truing stand! I typically use zip ties on a frame. lol
it is nice. Still need the bike stand though. 😀 The motorcycle wheels I used to build were done with a home made rig. I used to clip a grease pencil to the rig and watch the marks on the wheel, worked pretty good, Motor cycle wheels are so much easier to do than bicycle wheels.

Latest posts

Back