The Skateboarding Thread

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FunkyStickman said:
I skated back in the early 90's, had a Lance Mountain street deck with Gullwing trucks. I never was any good at it, but it sure was fun! I still jump on the kid's board when I get the chance.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab using Tapatalk

Lance Mountain still skates. I saw him about a year ago and he still rocked. I was a huge fan back in the day. His boards were weird though. I believe he designed all of his own and I always thought they looked like a 6year old drew them. Gullwing were nice though, for some reason I always had thunder trucks.

lots of memories (and a few scars)

Roscoe Clyde

My self with the new board... nice looking chimp right? :lol:

In good custom tradition, a few doodles to replace the existing ones...

This thing has already giving me lot´s of joy, I recommend it to anyone debating if buying it or not... (Gold Street Customs are you feeling the hint? :wink: :D )

The last time I skated I had one of these in my front pocket

Elephant_Wrench_4b0c52d70b6ea.jpg

fell and had bruise the size of a football on my leg, couldn't walk right for a month i bet :lol:

well i found some old pictures and skate shop 'zines so ill try to scan those at some point(be aware it was the early/mid 80's so theyll be really low quality...but i got a cover and a write up :lol: AND be glad they didnt use the jacks handrail pictures of me :lol: )

I just finished hand painting this skateboard for my lil 8 year old buddy who skates. He said to me, "I want to have my own skateboard company one day" so I made him this board. His name is Bugg.

BuggBoardCoEdit.jpg

That's awesome Petro ^ cool board and name.

This thread brought back some memories. A few boards I had were given to me and given away, that's how the neighborhood was, someone got a new deck, trucks, whatever, pass there old one down the line. Few boards I still have:

320EB639-57FB-4962-8FB2-54D1128DC273-967-00000114A465C9F5.jpg

C4195B54-129C-4522-8349-56FB2108C481-967-0000011131A9AD32.jpg

Good times!!!

Cool Stuff everyone.
I love old school boards, Heres my Powell Peralta ripper board I just got. I got some green rails for it the other day.
Sorry the Pic is terrible.

IMGA0312.jpg

Socal Last said:
boards I still have:
320EB639-57FB-4962-8FB2-54D1128DC273-967-00000114A465C9F5.jpg
wow im surprised those decks with the(crap i cant remember what marketing name they used for the tar paper they saved $ on instead of using maple wood!) black stuff survived! :shock:
those were rare around our parts...first week of launch ramps(yeah i just dated myself!) generally killed them.

ohhh...since i didnt take a camera i dont have pics of my old survivors but i did rescue this relic from my moms garage tonight!
IMG_0154.jpg

IMG_0155.jpg

IMG_0156.jpg

IMG_0157.jpg

IMG_0158.jpg

the best part is is the wheels actually move so forget about the hot wheels/deck add for carving the sinks and tubs! :lol:
i think i got that at goodwill in like 83?
a $.25 well spent id say

Officially the greatest thing Ive seen all week. Thank you sir, that is truly amazing.

I got a long board thing going. I dont really ride anymore... I push them with a paddle stick ... its a good workout
I broke my neck in 3 palces so I can really ride the boards anymore... I ride my bike over to the lake . and push the boards around
the my big stick ... then ride home... its a very good core workout...
car%20413_zps476f51e0.jpg

car%20414_zps0569ff50.jpg

I was a poser back in the late 80s and early 90s. My first board was something my dad and I made, I remember tracing it out on to 3/4" plywood, using a coffee can as a template to round the nose. Then we sanded and polyurethaned it and bolted on a set of roller skate "trucks." Soon I remember getting a bright green Nash skateboard from a KB Toy Store. It was wood, but thick and flat. Around this time other skateboards arrived usually from yard sales, Nash and Variflex, just the junk of the skateboard world. Then I got my first real deck, with fish tail and it was concave, though it too was an off-brand that came from Price Club (similar to Sams or Costco).

Eventually I got to order something from one of those little California Cheap Skates catalogs that I use to get in the mail, did anyone else drool over those catalogs? My first real board was a Sims Kevin Staab, it had a pirate on it, I was into the boards with a lot of art in them. I bought a Vision Psycho Stick off of a friend and there were other boards. I had a ramp in the back yard, about 3' tall, I could skate up it, stop on the coping, turn and go back down, and I could "drop in." Like I said, I was a poser.

My last real board was a Christian Hosoi deck, it was the one that looked like graffiti on purple. Being a poser it didn't get scratched up and I ended up selling it to a friend in high school around 93-94 for $80. I went to college with him and he hardly rode it.

Around 1998 I was at a surf/skate shop and saw those huge risers and big rubber tractor wheels, so I bought a set for $40, but didn't have a board anymore. I went to my friend living off campus as asked about the old deck wanting to buy it back, and he just gave it to me.

I put the big wheels on it and rode it some, but then got a cheap Target skateboard and put the big wheels on it and I still have that.

I put the Hosoi back to original and sold it on CL a few years ago for $100. So if you are keeping track my parents originally bought me that skateboard complete for about $100. I sold it once for $80 and then again for $100. haha

So now I have big wheel skateboard, and recently took a skateboard and did a body drop on it (yes it's rideable, and fun), I have an old plastic banana board I found last year, but I want a long board. I'd just rather pedal now than pump.

boarded_zpsea944c6e.jpg

skates1_zpsa396faf3.jpg

skates2_zpsf20da76a.jpg

photo_zps2d33eaf3.jpg

slammed_zps04c696ad.gif

Longboarding actually have surpass my life long addiction of bikes , and like every thing i touch , i end up building some of my own
P1010239.jpg

DSCN4391.jpg

DSCN4492.jpg

DSCN4380.jpg

DSCN4382.jpg

DSCN4122.jpg

DSCN4299.jpg

DSCN4304.jpg

DSCN4603.jpg

DSCN4635.jpg

and the Ratrod Longboard :p
LowestlongboardDropbaseplate1.jpg

LowestlongboardDropbaseplate3.jpg

I need me one of those longboards, so like most things in my life, since I can't afford one, I'll probably build one. I found some old cheap trucks in the shop the other day, they are cheap, but all steel/alloy (not like some of the cheap plastic ones) and since they are old, they are wider than the newer ones. Maybe I have the start of a longboard.

Maybe I have the start of a longboard.

Maybe???
Off course you have!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

OneHorsePower: show me the back of the RatRod Longboard, seams like tons of fun :shock:

Its the same as the front but with only 25*angle if i remember
and the under side is the board in the 1st picture (the 1st drop through i made) that cracked after a month , so i re-cut it and build those "Droplate" as i cal them to regain the wheel base and lower it

i recently decided to start a small longboard biz 8)
DSCN5217_zpsdc55a415.jpg

DSCN5212_zps58f3f738.jpg

DSCN5211_zps13cf57ae.jpg

DSCN5210_zps6e32b6eb.jpg

DSCN5198_zps20f91a21.jpg

DSCN5199_zpsfb84989b.jpg

DSCN5204_zps44e43ac1.jpg

DSCN5206_zps6cf83acc.jpg

and these are prototypes with fancy paints cause there mine :mrgreen:
DSCN5285_zps78062c81.jpg

DSCN5290_zpsa174adad.jpg

DSCN5226_zps30521519.jpg

DSCN5224_zpsb81c7bb7.jpg

DSCN5231_zps7b5af080.jpg

I still skate a Bill Danforth, trackers, and Sims wheels...yes it is old, that is what I tell the kids.

Latest posts

Back