The StretchLiner

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
K folks, I know it doesn't start til tomorrow, but here's what I am gonna start with.
2910025199_f7fbe27b5a.jpg

Plans? I'm gonna stretch it, maybe lower it a little, and widen the frame to fit some 24x3.0 tires on it. Once i figure out the frame, we'll see what happens next. :mrgreen:

I've been waiting for a while for this one too... My first chop-up hack job. I just hope it goes ok... I trust my welding(even though I know my welds look ugly... They're pretty strong...I put 10k on my old ratbike yamaha xs-650 that I welded some mods into the rearend of... but like I said they were ugly...), so we'll see how my engineering goes. :mrgreen:

Had some free time at work this morning... And i went past the point of no return... :shock:

What I started with
3174572732_df6bdce764.jpg

This bike donated the rear triangle... Keepin' it murray. :mrgreen:
3173736335_ab7195e9ed.jpg

Some random shots of build parts...
3174572854_c745471950.jpg

3174572592_a655c082e1.jpg

3174572438_deb832ac89.jpg

It's too late to turn back now...
3174573000_2748540d2a.jpg

I was planning on staying late after work tonight to do some more work, but I caught a cold... We'll see how I feel...

I was hoping to do some more on it tonight, but now there is a flood warning here, so I gotta go home to prepare for the flood that may or may not happen... Either way, I'm gonna go do what I can to prepare for it... Chain my bikes up(the worse that can happen is I'll have to re-grease everything... :roll:

So it looks like I'll be putting my build off for a week or so... We got flooded out here, and I gotta deal with that... I haven't been to my house for a day and a half, and I don't even know what's been hit or how hard... Gotta love these weather emergencies... But I'm still in this guys. Don't worry. Just gotta prioritize for now...

Oh yeah everyhting is fine. Yard got soggy, but no houses in my neighborhood got hit, so we were lucky this time around. Thanks for everyone's concern. Nice to know people who care.

Now for my build progress...
So one day, I decided to send a message to Uncle Stretch because I wanted one of his stretched out colson clone frames. This led to a long and lengthy discussion about building bikes and whatnot. During this discussion the topic of stretching a bike came up, and he informed me that in his opinion, it was better to build from scratch than to try to cut apart and stretch an existing bike. I can second that opinion, especially when it comes to a frame style such as a spaceliner, with so many curves. It is REALLY hard to match some of these curves! I already wish I had started from scratch. Or at least taken my starting frame apart a little bit more. If I was to do it again(which I might...) I wouldn't try to re-use any of the top tubes. I would just start from scratch rather than trying to scab in some curved metal and make it all try to match. That being said, Even though it is turning out a little more difficult than I had originally anticipated, I think it will still turn out ok, especially if I go ahead and use some bondo when it's all welded up(I hate bondo by the way...). Here's to hoping. :mrgreen:

And here's my pictures of my progress for the night.
3198393082_2ac990ac96.jpg

3198392940_35185d81b3.jpg

3197548699_de7c8a2589.jpg

3197548819_d0c436a512.jpg

It's just tack-welded right now, and I already know it's gonna have to come back apart in places because it's a little twisted and not as straight as I wish it was in places... I'm also pretty sure I'm gonna have to build a longer fork or at least lengthen one for this thing, but since i only have one wheel here at work, I'm not exactly sure of my pedal clearances yet...
So there you are.

Thanks for all the encouragement guys. I can already tell this build is gonna be more ratty than I want it to be, but it's a learning experience. After this, I'm gonna build on from scratch rather than try to modify one. Uncle Stretch was right. It's easier to build from scratch than to try to stretch a bike... Oh well. Live and learn. :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back