The TRAIN RAT

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Rat Rodders! My first real rat begins now. I recently acquired a Schwinn Mesa http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=25694 Which I am building to leave at the train station for a couple months while I intern at a theater. I'm trying to put very little money into it and make it ugly(ish) so that nobody will steal it. It's going to be hard to make a dumb bike and probably I will really like the outcome and just hope nobody steals it...

So here it is after tear down and sanding:
Mesa-1.jpg

Does anybody really like these kind of paint jobs?!

I'm going to have 2 color bands on the seat tube and top tube. For this I'm trying my layered paint technique. Layer one is a light green:
Mesa-2.jpg

Layer 2 is a grey blue:
Mesa-3.jpg

The top layer, which will show the most, is cream or a vintage white:
Mesa-4.jpg

The bike is a red primer. I've wanted to build a red primer bike for a while. I really like how this looks with white walls. However, for this first version of the bike I will be using old, mismatched tires, to enhance the unattractiveness.
Mesa-5.jpg

I used 2 different cans of primer. The first layer is a brighter, more red primer. The second and third layers are a flatter, brown primer. Next comes the sanding. This finish is all about layers, so time, wear, and tear will enhance the finish. :wink:

Look forward to seeing this one further along...

Nice choice in beer 8) If you like a hoppy brews, try to get your hands on Ranger IPA from them too...my new favorite New Belgium beer!

Re: The TRAIN RAT: What would you do?

I'm looking for some recommendations, because I'm all set to drop like $100 on this bike and that would probably be a bad idea. (1) So here is the run down: For roughly 2 months this bike will be parked in a public space exposed to the elements and at a higher risk of being stolen. For these 2 months I will ride it 4-5 miles a day, 4 days a week.

a-orangerod.jpg

Problem: The bottom bracket is shot and needs to be replaced. It's still ride-able, but there is a fair amount of wiggle. When I rebuild bikes I like to upgrade and update them if I can, the derailleurs, BB, pedals, are low-end Shimano Altus, so I would like to improve upon these eventually.

Solutions (keeping in mind the first caveat):

1. The friend who gave me the bike rode with the wiggly bottom bracket for several months. So, considering I won't be riding this bike all that much, just take it easy riding and leave the busted bottom bracket in until it can be brought back home.

2. Replace this low end bottom bracket with the same make and model (CT91) for roughly $15-20. Then upgrade everything once its out of harms way.

3. Throw caution to the wind, upgrade now and hope it doesn't get ruined by theft or weather conditions.

So,
I can eliminate option 3. I am leaning towards option 1, but I hate to leave things in an almost functioning state. What do you think? WWYD? :|

i agree, a minimal investment if the worst happens, but worth it for the peace of mind. by the way, whats wrong with the altus? i need to replace one, should i go with the alivio derailer instead?

Well I was just reading up on the Altus components and it was described as "entry level" and good for kids or people that take it easy on their bikes. I think its probably just fine. I mean I'm not jumping of mountains and such...

The buddy I got this bike from took a couple bad spills: 1. hit some not-so-fresh cooking grease and oil outside a restaurant and had a nasty wipeout. 2. hit some ice in the winter and took a nasty spill. The derailleurs were all fine, but the bottom bracket took a beating, breaking the left mounting ring and loosening the (bottom bracket) axle. Some components can take that abuse, Altus cannot.

thanx for the info. after reading about your friends bad luck, i would definetly replace the bb. maybe you can find a cheap one on a thrift store bike to get you by untill the danger of theft is gone. then you have extra parts also. just an idea.

Well who really wants to ride a broken bike? I took everyone's advice and ordered a replacement BB (same make and model) for the low price of $16. I imagine despite this being described as entry level it will be just fine. Once it arrives I'll get building. At this point I might need to buy some shift & brake cables, but everything else is ready to go. So far I've only put about $25 into it (and time).

ge tons of overspray on the tires when you crappily paint the wheels and forks when its still on the bike, THEN no one will steal it. :wink:

The Train Rat, Larry's Old Bike, The Redmoon Rider, The Redmoon Cosmonaut, My Commuter. I call it many things. I've been riding it to the Redmoon Theater (http://redmoon.org/) from Evanston for 5 weeks now, putting about 25+miles on it a day, 4 sometimes 5 days a week!

commuter.jpg

I need to get some pics of the ride, it's quite a journey.

I like it! The idea of sanding down different layers of paint like that is really cool! I also like the tires and how the fenders really hug them! :)

Latest posts

Back