The Tripod Trike aka Schwinn "Town and Crunchy"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
as my old man would say: "good enough for the girls we go with!"

I like that comment. :D
The apes work well with the trike. Keep plugging away.

If you have another piece of tube about the same diameter as the two you are joining, cut it lengthways, crush or hammer one side of the cut a bit so that it just goes under the other, then hammer one end into bit you are adding, and then the other into the handlebar. It makes for a tight joint, and you can always weld it later.

Tripod got a bigger wagon! Not much else to say, I think the picture speaks for itself.
IMG_20210902_173734_HDR.jpg

Now the less exciting stuff.
Repacked the bottom bracket and headset with marine grease since it might be parked outside rain or shine. Any downsides to marine grease?
IMG_20210902_140858_HDR.jpg

While I was at it, I ditched the shifters and added the light. Couldn't be happier with the light, I think it makes the bike to be honest. Also went back to the original crank and chainring. The crank might stay, but I'm not happy with the chainring.
IMG_20210903_084514_HDR.jpg

A chrome chain and a new bell from the local bike co-op, and I'd say it's coming together!
IMG_20210902_173713_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210903_084553_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210903_084553_HDR.jpg
    537.1 KB · Views: 48
If you have another piece of tube about the same diameter as the two you are joining, cut it lengthways, crush or hammer one side of the cut a bit so that it just goes under the other, then hammer one end into bit you are adding, and then the other into the handlebar. It makes for a tight joint, and you can always weld it later.
Thats a great tip, thanks! I found a smaller pipe to sleeve the joint, but it wasn't a very tight fit so the results are less than perfect.

I like that comment. :D
The apes work well with the trike. Keep plugging away.
I always thought it was kinda inappropriate cause he was talking about my mom... The more i think about it the more I realize it's pretty sexist and heteronormative too. 😬 Even an old queer like me has to keep thinkin about stuff like that as I grow. 🙃

I always thought it was kinda inappropriate cause he was talking about my mom... The more i think about it the more I realize it's pretty sexist and heteronormative too. 😬 Even an old queer like me has to keep thinkin about stuff like that as I grow. 🙃

I took it more to be along the lines of "good enough for the gang we hang out with", the gender part didn't even cross my mind.

Cool seeing Tripod in the wagon. Love the new name. Maybe Tripod's Town and Crunchy Trike

Missed the deadline by 15 minutes, but I wasn't really done and the light was gone for decent pics anyway... I started gathering parts for a final build day in my friends garage pretty early in the morning. An exercise bike, child carrier, some kind of switch box thing, a mirror.... didn't actually get loaded until a little after 1. Later start didnt leave much build time, but I was still confident.
IMG_20210906_131253_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210906_115729_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210906_115652_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210906_115434_HDR.jpg
cut up the exercise bike and made this cargo area extension, and we're off to the races.

IMG_20210906_193426_HDR.jpg

Now on to my mistake. I really wanted to modify the child carrier into a cargo rack for this vintage case. The mockups were promising, and I had some time, so I went for it.
IMG_20210906_115804_HDR.jpg

It took way more time and fiddling than expected. I got it all bent around and put back together and tacked it to the fork (where I would be adding tabs anyway) and completely hated it. I removed it, cleaned up the for where I tacked the rack, threw the wagon and basket back on and went to look for a place to take a pic.
IMG_20210906_193447_HDR.jpg

Before I realized it, I was 15 minutes past the deadline. The light was gone, my phone was broken, and I wasnt really happy with the end result. I only took this one sad pic. My screen was broken and I couldn't tell if I was even taking decent pics, so I gave up. Cleaned up the shop and went home.
IMG_20210906_201614_HDR.jpg

This won't be it for this build... I may return to the child carrier. I didnt like the way it turned out with that particular case, but the idea is still a good one. Gotta get working lights on it and a few more small details... it'll be sure and post so cool pics when it's actually done...

Last edited:
Sorry you missed it, but glad you are continuing on. I like the way you are repurposing stuff in a cool way!
BUILD ON!!!

Latest posts

Back