The Ugly Truth - of E-Waste

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had heard about it before, but not as in your face as that segment. That is awesome, the program you mention. Preaching to the chior here! The kings and queens of re-use.

My snark is pointed toward mainstream media, not you :D

Think about it though, building bikes the way we do is all about recycling (pun not intended) re-using and re-purposing. It comes as no surprise to find out that other here refinish furniture, collect vinyl (records), restore/hot rod/drive old cars (better than sending it to a junk yard, or even melting it down). It's not a matter of being PC or Green either, it's a matter of appreciating history and being creative & artistic.

That just torks me off. How can anyone\organization with any sense of decency expose a fellow human-being to such conditions? Chasing that mighty $$ is all that matters I suppose. :x Any most of us until this story broke assumed the material was being exposed of properly without harming anyone in the process. What a nieve idealism on our parts! I am involved in technology in a round-about way (Programmer Analyst) but would much rather take a step back in time. The only real benefit I have gained is the freinds I have made though new technological communication processes. Though his actions were radical, I can just hear the uni-bomber and his comments now.

How do we prevent this? The penalty has to be steaper than any profit plus they pay for foreign country cleanup caused after the illegal activity. Does it require imprisonment as well. Another issue, over-crowding. American the beautiful. Yeah, now we see why... I pray this is put to a stop.

I saw that on 60 minutes yesterday, Very sad indeed.

The part that made me mad was that Guy in Colorado that was shipping junk CRT's to China, but got busted! He sure changed his story when confronted!

A few years back, I was checking into opening an E-Waste recycling operation, but it would take way more money than I have to start it up. Especially to do it the right way.

I was just discussing over the weekend with someone that you could probably still run a 200mhz PC with Windows 98 and get along ok. For what most people do, they could probably keep their electronics a lot longer than they do, the problem is they gunk it all up with applications they don't even know they have running, then think they need a new computer.

Communism is a big help to those people too. :roll:

What they also don't mention is the other millions living in those crap conditions all over China...not just the e-wastelands.

Latest posts

Back