Theodocious Atrocious

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I picked this up as a full bike during the Summer and had not done anything with it until this week, stripping it down after pirating the wheelset for a client's build.

Theodocious1.jpg

The frameset is Tange 1000 straight gauge chromoly tubing and the paint is largely immaculate. I have a few parts ordered up already to BMX this Triple-Triangle Zebra Splatter Beast. The OE headset is already cleaned up for reassembly and will be added to the frameset after the next order of business, detailed paint restoration.

20211215_121541.jpg

Last edited:
A GT BMX? Whodathunk it..
The best part is that there will be more than a smattering of GT BMX parts on it and since Gary started things back up recently, I will not have to pay insane dollars on NOS parts. That frame is going to track better than a Kona Blast.

A bunch of GT parts arrived today. The frame is in the stand for finish resto. The fork is done and a lot of the marring on its paint was superficial. The frame is in better pre-resto condition than the fork was. The plan is to get to the frame resto tomorrow. Such a cool frame and paintjob on it, stoke is high. This 1992 Garage Queen is getting a major makeover!

Last edited:
Nice idea with this vintage GT mtb, KCI. With the GT heritage in both realms, it's a great pairing! That frame / fork is in awesome shape. Mr. Turner is back at it again, you say? Cool.

I just noticed that it has a BMX brake on the rear. Way cool!
Internal Cable Routing for that U-Brake too. As soon as I saw this bike in-person, 26" BMX hit my brain and then the asking cash landed in the seller's hand.

The frame paint is restoring nicely.

Last edited:
Nice idea with this vintage GT mtb, KCI. With the GT heritage in both realms, it's a great pairing! That frame / fork is in awesome shape. Mr. Turner is back at it again, you say? Cool.
I had seen the article Matti posted up back in January. I spent too many years Behind The Orange Curtain to not keep up with good OC folk like Gary Turner. Now that supply is catching up with the re-birth, the time was right for this project.

As someone else who acquired a timberline this fall, I wish mine was that paint scheme. Mines being converted into more of a daily use bike then anything after I finish this build off

The wheels are laced up now. Taking the doggos I'm dogsitting out for a walk and will pick up a couple of presta tubes at an LBS while out before taking pics of the completed wheels. The brakeset is cleaned and ready to be added to the frameset and most of the parts being used are present. The u-brake hanger cable is slightly haggard and I'll most likely get a new one in before calling it done.

One thing I had neglected in switching from a MTB stem to a BMX stem is the cantilever brake cable stop that was built into the MTB stem. Since Origin 8 and GT are sharing the build in parts, the Origin 8 fork mount was chosen for both design functionality and parts harmony. It's on the way.

20220110_144027.jpg

Latest posts

Back