Thinking about a newer car VW GTI

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Body: Kokomo, In... Mind: in the gutter. Soul: in
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well browsing a local dealership I saw a car I am seriously considering buying one like. It's a 2001 VW GTI with a VR6 I told the dealer I liked it but I don't like the red color, don't like the stick shift although I can drive a stick, and need two more doors, plus it was really high miles. He said he could probably find me one that better met my criteria if I was interested. My question to all you dub freaks out there is this: Is it a good car? I have owned a ton of VW's in the past and all have been good to me but none were even close to this new. I have heard the new VR6 is a spunky little motor and I love the styling of the body. How are they as far as reliability? MPG? Insurance? Maintenance? Easy to work on? Likes? Dislikes?

Anybody here own one that can give me a user review and an owner's point of view? I'm not gonna be buying right away but probably in the next year.

Re: Thinking about a newer car

it ain't no Toyota,..

that being said, my wifes sister has one, ran great till about 140k.. she's been pumping money into it since tho. new rack&pinion /axles and some wheel bearings, then the trans went south.. she still says she loves it !!

my daughter has a 2004 Jetta 1.8t that thing is pretty darn quick...put the check engine light problem is getting old. It's always some emission issue or coolant issue....cheap interior. The car does drive well. She has about 90k miles on hers and has had it since new. I wouldn't buy a used VW.

Of corse it's not a Toyota, if I had to drive a Prius I might puke... :lol: as far as cheap interior that's kinda expected, it is a Volkswagen after all that's kinda the charm for me a simple car that doesn't have lots of gizmos that go out after a year. I grew up with crank windows and stick shifts so I like that sort of thing. Only reason I really want an automatic is my fiancé can't drive a stick and if she needs to use it I don't want to replace the clutch afterword.

I own a 2002 GTI 1.8T, 5-speed, blue with tan leather interior, with over 125K on it.

Mechanically, It's pretty much stock except for the Borla cat-back exhaust, short shift kit, Audi TT front bushings and clutch. I had the top end (head, valves, etc...) rebuilt back in 2011 and it's as good as new. Spinning 1st and 2nd gear (with the traction control disengaged) is NO PROBLEM!

I LOVE this car!

While the VR6 has more torque, the 1.8T is the better motor. Also, in 2002, the 1.8T had more horsepower (180) than the VR6 (172).There's a LOT more aftermarket bolt-ons fo the 1.8T too.

If your looking for two more doors and a GTI, they didn't exist in the US until MK5 Golf lineup in 2006. You could always go with the MK4 Jetta GLI, same motor, same brakes, same suspension as the GTI, plus a trunk!

One thing, if there's no record of a timing belt change and it's got more than 90K on it, REPLACE THE TIMING BELT!! (see install of new top end above :mrgreen: )

Here's my beast with a MK5 look-alike front end and halo headlights installed.
DSCF3404.jpg

DSCF3391.jpg

Cheers,
Dr. V (I mean, T)

What I meant was the knobs falling off...things breaking..not no freel. I like simple but good quality.

If you can do the work yourself then they can be little rock ships and handle great.

I really like the TDIs. My buddy has a 2013 Passat TDI nice car that gets over 40mpg.

Dr. Tankenstein said:
I own a 2002 GTI 1.8T, 5-speed, blue with tan leather interior, with over 125K on it.

Mechanically, It's pretty much stock except for the Borla cat-back exhaust, short shift kit, Audi TT front bushings and clutch. I had the top end (head, valves, etc...) rebuilt back in 2011 and it's as good as new. Spinning 1st and 2nd gear (with the traction control disengaged) is NO PROBLEM!

I LOVE this car!

While the VR6 has more torque, the 1.8T is the better motor. Also, in 2002, the 1.8T had more horsepower (180) than the VR6 (172).There's a LOT more aftermarket bolt-ons fo the 1.8T too.

If your looking for two more doors and a GTI, they didn't exist in the US until MK5 Golf lineup in 2006. You could always go with the MK4 Jetta GLI, same motor, same brakes, same suspension as the GTI, plus a trunk!

One thing, if there's no record of a timing belt change and it's got more than 90K on it, REPLACE THE TIMING BELT!! (see install of new top end above :mrgreen: )

Cheers,
Dr. V (I mean, T)

Thanks Dr. T, I didn't know that. Will the GTI grill fit on an MK4 golf? I can always "fake it" and swap the grill myself later down the road. For me it's more of a look thing rather than performance, to me a black GTI with that red stripe around the grill just looks sinister. I really don't want a Jetta because I do want a hatchback. Easier to haul big stuff, easier to parallel park, and I just like the styling. I'm not going to be racing it but like the idea of having a bit of power in reserve in case I need to get out of the way quickly. (Stupid drivers are rampant in Kokomo) What all is different from the regular golf to the GTI?

Also thanks for the tip on the timing belt. I take it you found out the hard way?

TexasDart said:
What I meant was the knobs falling off...things breaking..not no freel. I like simple but good quality.

If you can do the work yourself then they can be little rock ships and handle great.

I really like the TDIs. My buddy has a 2013 Passat TDI nice car that gets over 40mpg.

I do like the diesels but having owned a few I know they are slow, not sure about the turbo but I have had both Mercedes 240 diesels and VW Runny babbit diesels and both were ungodly slow. My '78 Mercedes 240D I could floor it and it MIGHT do 80mph. 0-60 in two years... :lol: Also having to plug in the block heaters in the winter is a big hassle, and parts for a diesel are about twice as much as for a gas motor. The mileage was phenomenal though, my old VW Runny babbit could flirt with 60MPG on a good stretch of highway and could run on used french fry oil. :mrgreen: But a golf cart would give you a run for your money.

My wife had an 03 Jetta diesel. It got about 40 mpg average. It had a deflector that was mounted under the engine that kept coming loose all the time, but otherwise was a solid car. She put about 75k miles on it. My daughter had a 06 New Beetle 1.8. She had to change out a headlight bulb and you have to remove the front bumper on it to do that. Cost her $400. But both of them loved their VW's.

I had a 84 VW Diesel...when gas got up to a buck a gallon I needed it to save in commuting costs..:) It was reallllly slow...don't go against a head wind but boy did it get good fuel mileage. Always liked the Rabbits and would of liked a GTI.
The new TDI is really a nice engine...even in a bigger car like the Passat it's will cruise at 85 no problem. We did this going around Austin not to long ago. Coming back to Dallas we had a 50mph head wind and it did drop down to 35mpg that was with 4 people and a lot of stuff in the trunk. Quite a comfortable car with good room for 4.
I would imagine in a Beetle or a Golf size vehicle these would get up and go pretty good. They are a lot quieter than the old ones too.
I do like 4 cylinder turbo engines...those things will go and have lots of potential..now let me tell you about my Daytona 5spd 4 banger turbo...:)..that thang screamed.

Yeah I know little 4 bangers can have some spunk to them. My sister had a little Dodge Omni GLH when she was learning to drive and I tell you she'd scare the heck out of you with that and my old '87 Toyota MR2 NON turbo 5 speed would get up and scream. I can imagine the turbo model. Perfect weight balance too. Funny story actually...First time I drove it after getting it running I was pulling out of my driveway and spun the tires on the loose gravel and as soon as the tires hit pavement I shot across the street and into the corn field and spun it around before I could get off the gas. She was a handful but a blast to drive.

I am friends with Volkswagen enthusiasts and while they love them and love to work on them, none would recommend one to me as far as reliability goes.
I was in the market for a newer car a while back and was looking at a VR6 GTI and was encouraged to get a 1.8t. In the end I went with a 05 Subaru 2.5RS. Lots of fun, 4 drs, reliable and rips through snow banks.

Latest posts

Back