Thoughts on clearcoating

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm trying to clearcoat some parts I painted last weekend. The parts are topcoated in Duplicolor Metalcast paint in part, and also in Testors Modelmaster enamel in part (a two-tone color scheme). I wet sanded the parts today. The trouble I'm running into is that on my test sample, the clearcoat is reacting with the base paint and wrinkling up.

I initially tried Duplicolor enamel clearcoat, then thinking that maybe a lacquer would work better, I tried Rustoleum high-luster clear lacquer. Both had the same results. First I thought that maybe I didn't wipe the sample down sufficiently, so I then washed it in soap & water. Then I thought maybe I didn't get it dry enough, so I let it sit for a while next to the dehumidifier. But so far, I haven't been able to spray the clear without it wrinkling. The Metalcast paint label did say to wait 7 days to recoat if it wasn't all done within the first hour. I didn't have any trouble with the Testors enamel that was the second phase of my two-tone paint.

Any suggestions?

My suggestion is to use the same brand of primer, paint, and clear coat. Mixing enamel and laquer paint or different brands of paint can be disasterous unless you get real lucky. If you use a good enamel, you won't need clear coat as enamel dries just as glossy as it would be if you clear coated it. Laquer definitely benefits from clear coat but if you buff out a laquer paint job it will be pretty glossy and you really wouldn't need clear coating unless you like the "wet look". Gary

it will work, you just have to use extremely thin coats for the first 2 or 3 and let em dry real good in between like 20 minutes, then you should be able to start building it up. the wrinkles for me are almost always from laying it on too thick outa the gate or not waiting long enough between coats. :roll:

If you have an air compressor and sprayer you can get paint at your automotive store. I used, I think it was Acrylic enamel, I put on two coats without a clearcoat and it looks about as glossy as a powdercoat and is about as tough to. I dropped it a few times even on forks and it didn't chip. The color won't fade either, it is defiantly worth getting a paint sprayer (especially if you borrow the air compressor). Its super cheap, looks great, is durable, and is easier than spray paint(can).

I agree with B

Keep the paint brands the same.

You can sometimes mix them...but be very carefull. (Its like rollin' the dice)

Thanks for the interesting information )

Latest posts

Back