THRUSTER --> D O N E !

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey folks, been awhile since I checked in - you folks have been BIZEEEE! I am going to go ahead and say I am on board for this mission build. I have what I think is a Spaceliner frame, I'll post pics tomorrow (too cold to go up to my shop in the dark right now). I have missed building and tinkering with bicycles, so this is JUST what I needed. You guys have some GREAT bikes going for sure! Not sure I can step it up that much with my piles of junk, but I'll at least jump in and have fun building my "Worthless Human Thrusting Transportation Device"! — Peace, T.

Re: THRUSTER

Looks forward to your build. Glad to see the bike bug has bit you again.

OK, I have no idea what this bike will end up looking at for real, but ere are a few parts and quickie mock-ups just to get the ball rolling...

thrust_01a.jpg

thrust_01b.jpg

thrust_01c.jpg

thrust_01d.jpg

thrust_01e.jpg

thrust_01f.jpg

thrust_01g.jpg

thrust_01h.jpg

thrust_01i.jpg

thanks for looking -T.

I like the mock-up with the x-53 rack. the motorcycle bars look cool too. Oh and your frame is a nice start too. Can't wait!

OK, been slammed with work and other stuff - made some progress. This frame was ROUGH and unfortunately the chrome was not salvageable in over 50% of bike, so I started sanding, etc. on it. I got it all pretty smooth, but found a few places that need brazing - sanding frame is not that fun... so lot's of work on frame, but not much to show yet anywhere else... cheers, T.

thrust_02a.jpg

thrust_02b.jpg

Worked on hole(s) in frame and straightening frame. Also added fender brace, I'll clean up the tiny holes with UV bondo. You guys ever used that? I can only find it at PEP Boys, it comes in a red tube. You just spread it on, work it as much as you like (out of the sun), and then set it in the sun and BAM - its hard as a rock & you can sand, add more all day long...- you should try it.

I am going to paint the frame a farm implement color that is close to "Minneapolis Molleen" - kind of a mustard yellow...
PEACE T.

thrust_03a.jpg

thrust_03b.jpg

thrust_03c.jpg

Some more progress, did dry run of everything, and worked out the kinks, going to be a little more "normal" this time I guess. Keeping it simple. Going for these bars, and old heavy chrome cranks and neck. I have to paint the stars, the chrome was long-gone (just like the frame). Took FORVER to sand the frame - you guys & gals know!

I got lucky with the fork supports, I threw the sissy bar down next to bike and it sparked this idea. I just bent them until they looked neat to me. Put one end in a vise, them hammered it flat and drilled a hole in it... going to paint them Satin Black I think...

Anyways, cruising right along, should start looking like something soon I guess... Cheers, T.

thrust_04a.jpg

thrust_04b.jpg

thrust_04c.jpg

thrust_04d.jpg

Hmmm, there's gotta be a bluegill in that tank eh?

Hey...what made you think of painting the Thruster in the Minnie-Mo color? I still see a few of those old Minnies up here and that old familiar yellow is getting scarce. You are doing a ton of work on that bike....looking forward to seeing the final product...it will be so cool.

Hey thanks guys. A few sunfish in there, but it's pretty shallow. I have a few other deeper ponds that have some good ones in there. Pretty all the same. I have always thought a motorcycle would look great in that color, especially with brass and black stuff all over it - like in the (older looking) Zero Engineering bikes.. I love those. Anyways, a good friend of mine, an older guy has an old big wood press he painted that color and every time I go over there, it just calls to me - I like the color a lot. The paint I got is not really the right color, but its as close as I can get in a can down here in TX. :lol:

nice work you had some serious work to do on that frame cudos for saving it and giving her a second chance at life :D

Hey thanks karfer! Here is last pic of the "the build". I put it all together today and spaced (ha) on the chain! I found one that will work, but had to soak it all day in diesel, then in motor oil. Here it is hanging up to drip dry... I got the bike all together today, and all working smooth. Will post the final pics tomorrow I hope. Nothing fancy or super custom like you other guys. The talent on this site never ceases to amaze me- great inspiration for sure... cheers, T.
thrust_06a.jpg

Well, this is as far as I can take her I guess. I usualy like to trick 'em out s little more, but I think the simplicity of this skinny frame could not take much more :) - so I am happy with it as-is.

I used satin black for the black in the frame. I painted points on parts of frame and fork braces, and outlined with thin silver auto pinstripe tape (cuz I can't paint that skinny). I got in a hurry, so it's not a cherry paint job, and I dinged it in a few spots I had to touch up, but I was happy with the tractor implement mustard funky yellow for sure! I found this seat on an old exercise bike, just had to paint the underside.

I guess for the most part, all the components are basically from the same era in time more or less, that was an accident, but I think it helps the look.

She rides great. Seat is not super comfy, but it's all locked down and the kids have taken it for a few spins and it can hold it's own.

Anyways, I had a great time with this build. I would have never used this frame for anything if RRB's didn't have this build. I needed this build as a relaxing man project that had a sense of completion for sure. Thanks for looking. Keep on truckin' - Troy.

thrust_07a.jpg

thrust_07b.jpg

thrust_07c.jpg

thrust_07d.jpg

thrust_07e.jpg

thrust_07f.jpg

thrust_07g.jpg

thrust_07h.jpg

thrust_07i.jpg

Beautiful!....Ah yes, the sense of "completion", nothing more satisfying!

Looks good. Nice and simple. The new fork legs are cool. Did it affect the performance at all?

Latest posts

Back