Thursday find Schwinn Varsity

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Picked up this Varsity!I had looked for an Orange Varsity like the one I bought new in `71. I gave up because they were too ratty or too expensive. I went to get this one for someone else. The bike is in pretty good shape. The cool thing is, its an april 71 bike. Same as mine. 22" frame, same as mine. Front hub is stamped 1-71, rear is 2-71 and stem is 71. Too many good things about this one to let go. Mine had fenders, so I will have to find them and the black seat with Schwinn embossed on both sides.

Re: Thursday finds. Please help identify one of them.

Peugeot? I think not. The lugs don't look like Peugeots, the seat stays are different. But it is french, lower level bike with mostly steel components. Lejune and Lejunette used silver decal/panels. Got any close up photos of the decals, lugs, etc?

non-stock rear der (Suntour) , brake levers (Weinman with suicide extensions) , handlebar grips (Grab On), tires (probably Raleigh based on the tall straight ribs). Mystery junk saddle.
All circa 1975 or so.

I bought the same 22" Orange Varsity with Chrome Fenders, NEW, in 1972 or so. Within 6 months I got to ride a Raleigh Super Course (better) and a Colnago Super (WOW!) so my bike education took off in a hurry. I sold off the Varsity asap and bought a Raleigh International (equal to a Paramount). Humm, $117 for the Varsity, $330 for the Reynolds 531, Campy bike. No contest. I don't miss the Varsity at all even though it was my first brand new bike.

rick

Nice bikes dude! If you part out the "Peugeot" I call dibs on the Mafac brakes and hardware.

I'm sorry you weren't happy with your Varsity. I loved mine. I put a speedo on it when I first bought it. Through the riding season of Pa. I averaged 150+ miles a week. 3 yrs later with over 6k on the speedo and another set of tires, I traded it in on a new Schwinn Sports Tourer.

Re: Thursday finds. Unknown Bike now identified!

i know nothing of old bikes, but i know that the orange one is The Perfect Color.

Re: Thursday finds. Unknown Bike now identified!

That green bike that was unknown is a early 70's model. Theres a peugeot in my yard that has parts identical to it, the rims and such are the same aswell as crank and brakes. Around here theres many many bikes like this, you see alot of them with names youve never heard before.

Latest posts

Back