Tight grips? Removal and install tip.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoothgeye

I build stuff.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
This may be old news to some people, but when I was a kid I use to take grips off an on bikes and dirtbikes all the time, and sometimes those suckers can really stick.

Some people say to wet the grips so they slide on, but if you are ready to ride right now, this is not the best option. Some people say to spray WD40 to slip them on... no. I heard that some people use hairspray on their grips so that they slide on, then they dry and stick (this was after I wrecked a dirtbike on the road because the grip came off in my hand), but once again, what are you going to do when it's time to take it off?

My answer? Compressed air.

Use an air compressor with a spray tip to blow air under the grips, this works for removal and install. I found out by mistake as a kid, using the compressor to "blow dry" my bmx after washing it, I blew air into the hole in the end of the grip and it shot off.

So, here are the processes.

Removal:

You have tight grips with holes in the ends. Use one hand/finger to cover the hole in one grip while you blow air from your compressor into the hole in the opposite grip. The air will try to escape and break the seal on one of the grips as it either comes right off or you twist/pull it off easily. Now for the other side you cover the end of the bar with your palm and repeat. If this doesn't work, get out the razor blade (for your grip, not your wrist).

You have tight grips with no holes in the end. Point the compressor nozzle under the open end of the grip and spray air in a circular pattern around the open end of the grip. This normally breaks any seal and you can easily pull/twist the grips off. Once one side is off you can blow air into the open end of the bar to blow the other grip off (make sure nobody is in the line of fire on the other side). Sometimes you will need a rubber grommet to make sure the air doesn't eascape through the large bar opening, if you can't find a piece of suitable rubber, wrapping the spray nozzle tip with a shop rag sometimes works.

Installation:

Do the same thing as above, just backwards, once the air is flowing push those grips on, make sure to stop the air once it's on or if you let go it will shoot off. Once it's on, there's no water or anything to dry first and it's ready to ride with confidence.

*If you don't have a compressor, don't try this, you will get dizzy and pass out.

Maaaaan, I just had to deal with this - great idea! I wish I would have read this before I went for the WD-40.......! I had to soak the grips in dish soap afterward; luckily, they came out fine.

I'm a tool. I was pretty proud of myself when I thought to use hairspray to put 'em back on though...a "positive" cancelled out a "negative"!

Latest posts

Back