TikToKlunker

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don’t worry about it on my cruisers, but on something I plan to take on trails and downhill regularly, I want a backup plan as much as just more braking control.
That makes perfect sense. I recently had an episode with a brake pad slipping off the rim on a bike with one brake. I wound up in the bushes rather than blowing the stop sign at the bottom of the hill. 🤣

Whoa!

I remember from reading the book, Wheels in His Head, what you do in that situation.

You jam your shoe in between the front tire and the fork to stop the bike. But you have to do it with some finesse so you don’t just flip the bike over on your head.

It’s a funny story about a guy who lost his brakes while cycling through the mountains. He ended up tying a bunch of sticks to a rope and dragging it on the road behind his bike so he wouldn’t go out of control, riding down the mountain.

This was a 1920’s dirt road, and he raised enough dust cloud to attract the sheriff’s attention. He promptly got arrested for operating “an illegal drag brake.”

It’s the same method they used for centuries to keep heavy wagons from rolling out of control down a hill.

It tore up the roads so bad here they just pulled the logs down on sledges with oxen, until they (Clovis Cole) built a log flume down the mountain (to Clovis.) They didn’t call it Clovis until well after they built the flume, and Mr. Cole got very wealthy.

Until then it was just a railroad spur for all the ranchers.

You jam your shoe in between the front tire and the fork to stop the bike. But you have to do it with some finesse so you don’t just flip the bike over on your head.

The bikes I ride most are tallbikes, 1 is a coaster brake bike, the rest have a single front caliper brake or cantilever brake or V-brake. I often consider what I would do on them if I lost a chain or broke a cable on a fast downhill since my foot cannot possibly reach the tire without a full or partial dismount.

The bikes I ride most are tallbikes, 1 is a coaster brake bike, the rest have a single front caliper brake or cantilever brake or V-brake. I often consider what I would do on them if I lost a chain or broke a cable on a fast downhill since my foot cannot possibly reach the tire without a full or partial dismount.
Drag chute

Carry an extra pair of shorts, just in case?

Reaching the seat stays should be easy on a 2 frame height tallbike with one foot low on a pedal and the other using your shoe on the seat stays and tire. I've practiced it on my tallbike a few times and have no worries about losing the chain attached to the coaster brake.

708A3BE0-C968-45BA-ADE3-41DABB6ACB6F.jpeg

Okay, despite a migraine I got some stuff done today.

A84915D2-A8D7-4912-8421-CAF5F7674CE9.jpeg

I got these brown lock on grips installed.

I think the saddle will lighten up, but I keep oiling it.

AE047EAF-A997-411F-955E-50B7CC1AA3F6.jpeg

And as you can see I put the 3 piece adapter on and this crankset.

11BBC886-3E1B-40E8-B284-919C522B2331.jpeg

Finally I pulled out these old faded pedals I’ll be running and they have a huge clean up coming to them.

2A724108-4F67-4ABC-9390-A78C6A20DC4A.jpeg

I’ve always loved how anodized black turns brown.

I like how it buffs right off and turns shiny silver!

I guess I’m just not a patina guy at heart, but I’m trying to get a feel for it with this latest 60-year-old English bike I’m working on. I have convinced myself not to repaint it. (Yet)

I’ve never built a car or a bike that did not shine. I remember going to many junkyards looking for better chrome bits.

But it’s a different world nowadays. It’s like the car/bike world is turning Mad Max. We have embraced rusty fenders the way we went from flashy Mod clothes in the 60s to shaggy levis in the 70s.

I’ve never built a car or a bike that did not shine. I remember going to many junkyards looking for better chrome bits.

I think it’s generational. I was born in 76. Growing up in the 80s/90s, every car show I went to had lines and lines of shiny cars, now that I can build my own I like leaving it a little raw. I think kids who are going to car shows with their dad’s nowadays will build shiny ones more than patina in another 20 years.

Front brake just adds another 'vintage mtb' flair in my mind, looks perfectly at home there. TruVativ cranks and those pedals will be icing on this klunker kake you're baking!

Front brake just adds another 'vintage mtb' flair in my mind, looks perfectly at home there. TruVativ cranks and those pedals will be icing on this klunker kake you're baking!

The cranks are not period correct but they save over half a pound in weight and will allow me a greater pedal selection.

It’s possible I’m done…

Anyway, I had a migraine that lasted around 54 hours, so I didn’t get anything done. When it ended this afternoon I did some things.

7C7CE24C-EB78-4A3B-A74E-60EEF8F1DAAD.jpeg

Grabbed these pedals off my Cannondale cargo bike and used these instead of the brown ones, these needed too much work.

F7B639FF-DA1E-4759-A59D-50611416000A.jpeg

Installed the wheel and tightened the coaster arm.

6A3105AC-2641-489D-BF30-5761DC3996CD.jpeg

Installed a new KMC 6 speed chain.

All I have to do now is ride it.

I think it’s generational. I was born in 76. Growing up in the 80s/90s, every car show I went to had lines and lines of shiny cars, now that I can build my own I like leaving it a little raw. I think kids who are going to car shows with their dad’s nowadays will build shiny ones more than patina in another 20 years.
I never went to a car show in my life till I was an adult. Dad was a 4WD guy.

But I do remember going to a factory new car show, back in 1962 while we were at the world’s fair. It was in Seattle and I remember seeing the brand new Corvair Greenbrier.

Latest posts

Back