Tilting e-trike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a couple of years or so since I had a new build. I used to post with user name 'OCD' but had to change my name to get back on here. Covid lockdowns have been hard on many of us over the last 1.5 years, here's what the isolation drove me to do. (lol). While cleaning up the shop I ended up combining parts of a couple of old builds into something new. I threw in a pic of the original trike next to the revamped version. Still under construction. It is running a Nine Continent hub motor with a 45amp controller and a 52v lithium pack for about 2400 watts. Corners just like a recumbent bike but can be locked out like a regular trike.
20210314_162304 (2).jpg
20210328_181018 (2).jpg
20210423_113007.jpg
20210618_164655 (2).jpg
20210618_164753.jpg
20210618_164830 (2).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great engineering! How do you set the tilt break? Be cool to change that as you ride. What is the plan for the stem at the very rear & does it tilt too?

Thanks. The lock on the tilt uses a friction gear shifter from an old 80's bike, it's basically just for parking so the main trike stays upright. The trike is infinitely more fun to ride unlocked. The rear stem is just a clamp to keep the rear section pivot together (like a fork headset). I cut the stem and handle bar clamp off later. I have also started a 'trunk for my junk' to make it a bit more practical for my commute to work. I'll most likely make a lid and some fenders later, then wrap it all in epoxy/fiberglass.

20210713_184551 (2).jpg

Yes, exactly. The trike was largely made from parts, materials and recycled projects that were gathering dust in my workshop I thought the disc would stop rotation totally, but you could allow a slight drag if you wanted to.

It does not feel like a trike when you ride, it corners like a recumbent bicycle using mostly lean steering rather than the under seat handlebars. It seems there's nothing in front of you when riding, it's like an amusement ride or a gaming chair. Of course you can also sit on it locked with your feet up at stop lights and see peoples reactions as you carve off

Sorry, have been working on other projects (scratch built stationary bike trainer, house renos, etc) but plan to get back to this. I have begun to build up the tail box with styrofoam sm to create rear fenders and bodywork which will be covered with fiberglass/epoxy. I'll post updates when I get some progress shots. I did however switch out to an 84volt pack, makes for an even more exciting ride. lol. We're still getting crappy weather with occasional snow where I live, not fwd trike weather yet.

Eridez, o, Eridez, where are you Eridez? This build is fabulous & severely in need of completion. we near a year since you posted this, sir. Is you aok? Thank you.

Latest posts

Back