Tire Mounting Rig

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingfish254

BUILD COOL BIKES AND HAVE FUN!!
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
130   0   0
There are a few people that have put 16" motorcycle tires on their OCC Stingray rear rims, but many said it was difficult. I decided to do the same with my Fugsley sand bike and came up with a tire mounting rig that helped out tremendously.

I lubed the inner rim of the tire with some spray white grease. Popping one side on was pretty simple. Then I put the tube in and it was a MAJOR pain getting the valve into the rim hole. One thing that did help some with alignment was to remove the vale stem and use a nail punch pushed through the hole and into the stem. Then I used my skinniest needlenose pliers to push the stem through the hole.

After trying to manhandle the tire, I knew I need some way to keep it still and something to raise the rim up off of the work surface higher than the tire bottom. Here is what I came up with. Two blocks of wood under the rim and a work clamp holding the rim down to the table. Man, once I did this I didn't even need any tools to get the tire on. I just pushed my weight down an inch or so at a time until the whell popped right on. It took less than 2-3 minutes.

Photo_32D07A98-E532-2083-CA06-14D1D32B9C2F.jpg

Photo_A686F91A-F3F5-0F70-1955-3C18EFB7DB7F.jpg

Latest posts

Back