Tire problems... Reminder to Inspect your bike if "new" vibrations start!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Evening ride around the country "block" (about 12 mi.)with my wife. I said, do you see anything wierd with my back tire as there is a new shake. She says , "maybe.". When we get home I find this...
20220726_195926.jpg
20220726_195933.jpg

20220726_200123.jpg

I know its a 37 year old tire, but it seemed ok with lots of tread, Maybe the tread flew off? Anyway 85psi, glad I made it home and got it deflated after pics.

New tire day!
20220812_140924.jpg
20220812_141022.jpg
So much tread...
I was shocked that the axles were almost siezed. This is one of my easiest rolling bikes and i never thought to check the wheel bearings!
20220812_142811.jpg

Lubricated and adjusted the bearings. Have to check and most likely lube the headstock and bottom bracket next.

Kinda wierd combo of skiewer quick release and lawyer washers.
20220812_143340.jpg

20220812_152045.jpg

15 mi ride went well.

Attachments

• 20220812_140950.jpg
    20220812_140950.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Those Contis are beastly and comparable the Schwalbe Marathon in regards to tough ISO 630 touring style tires.
Thanks,
They were a bear to mount, but seem to roll nice and true. Only other 27 x 1 1/4 tires I had experince mounting were "High Pressure" Kendas on my wife's Raleigh. I assumed the stock tires were panaracers and reviews said they wore out fast due to a thin carcass and little tread depth, Funny thing is after mounting the Continentals I was examinating the worn out tire and it says Kenda on the gumwall and is the same tread as the tires I put on my wife's bike 2 years ago! They put "Panasonic Bicycles" in big print on the sidewall though. :bigsmile:
At the same 80 psi they don't seem to offer as much road feel as the kendas but they are very stout construction with a protective belt. Maybe the rubber is harder compound? I do like the tread.

The internal flat protection in the Contis or Schwalbe Marathons provides the stiffness, which can be reduced with pressure to a point as long as one does not go below recommended PSI. Going below that (or above recommended PSI) will increase the rolling resistance. Those Kendas are by far the worst option in the current ISO 630 selections available, janky tolerances and roll like you are riding on shag carpet compared to the fast rolling 27s out there.

Evening ride around the country "block" (about 12 mi.)with my wife. I said, do you see anything weird with my back tire as there is a new shake. She says , "maybe.".

Perhaps she was mesmerized by the spare tire motion. :)

Good you caught it before it went bang. Saved you a long walk home and having to buy a new inner tube.

Perhaps she was mesmerized by the spare tire motion. :)

Good you caught it before it went bang. Saved you a long walk home and having to buy a new inner tube.
Ya we went through that with her Schwinn racer. Cruising around. her back tire starts going Buzz Buzz. I looked over by her and said, "what's that black thing" and blammo the tube poofed out of the gumwall and went bang! That was loud @50 psi. Like a gunshot.

Latest posts

Back