tire swap on suburban

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone ever replace 27 inch wheels on Schwinn Suburban with 26 x 1.75 wheel and tires? I would like to use a 26 inch free wheel rim and still use the ten speed capability. Any clearance issues?

i have done a couple of this type of conversion 27" to 26x2.0 and have cleared the frame both times. The 2.0 tire fills the frame nicely but side/center pull brakes may not work. Older 10 speed bikes and BMX sometimes have longer brake arms that you might be able to get to work or old huffy MTB bikes have a horse shoe looking adapter plate that will let you run cantilevers with out welding studs to the frame, you could also add a rear disk to it.

Troy

TNCRUISER said:
Thanks Troy, I think I'm going to try this.
your welcome, would love to see some pictures suburbans are cool old bikes!

Troy

I put 26x1.75 snow tires on a '73 Varsity. I swapped the fork to address the fitment in the front end, and used an extra long-reach (100mm) Tektro caliper in the rear to reach the wheel. There's a thread about it on here somewhere.

Edit - here's the thread: http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewto ... 21&t=52952

Great looking bike...very nice work. I think I will probably have similar issues with the brake calipers. You gave me some good ideas. Thanks for the info.

Latest posts

Back