Tire to wheel glue...???

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having an issue with the tire coming loose from the rim whenever I pump up the tube inside. Is there a glue or something else I can use to adhere the tire to the rim and prevent this from happening?

Thanks.

100_5313.JPG

check the size of your tube, if, for instance, you have a 26X1 3/8 wheel and tire and put a normal MTB 26" tube in it the tire gets pushed off.

if you have a motorcycle tie-down, wrap it around the circumference of the tire while pumping it up. maybe that will keep the bead in place.

snfargle said:
check the size of your tube, if, for instance, you have a 26X1 3/8 wheel and tire and put a normal MTB 26" tube in it the tire gets pushed off.

I have the exact set up in the front and it's not happening there.

You need to get the tire bead to seat evenly all the way around. If it is too deep in the rim on one side it can pop off on the opposite side. Make sure you lubricate the tire bead all the way around and on both sides. I use dish soap diluted in water, but you can use WD-40 or any number of other things. Then lay the tire and wheel on the floor - don't have it standing up - and air it up slowly, working the tire with your hands if necessary to keep it even. Should work.

What Crassly said. Do it slowly. As you're airing it up, make sure the edge of the tire, closest to the rim is even all around, on both sides. I had this problem myself, thinking I had the wrong size tire, but I eventually got it right. :idea:

The best lubricant for tyres is regular bathroom talc. I pour some in the tyre before the tube goes in too which prevents the tube from sticking to the inside of the tyre.

It seems that the problem has been solved, at least for now. I deflated the tire yesterday and held the place that had the problem tighter to the rim while airing up. Rode it around the block and hit a few bumps on purpose to see if it'll become loose again. No problems so far.

Back