Tire/tube question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Got my 29er rims back from being laced up today for my 1920's hawthorne. I used velocity blunts which are 28mm wide and plan on using 700X38 tires. What size tubes do I need? I bought 700X40 tubes (yes I know larger than my tires but I figured 2mm wasn't a big deal) but they seem to be huge and I got the wrong valve stem type so I can't even put them on to figure it out. Let me know, guys and thanks in advance!

I'm curious why you're not using 9er tires with the 9er rims or vice versa with 700c? I know most 700c tires will fit but I've had issues with certain ones on mine. If you've already solved that and know your tires will fit then disregard that altogether. The only rim/tube combo that won't work is presta rim/schrader tube I believe so if that's what you've got then just return them and get 700c x 35-38 or 700c x 35-43 in the right valve for the rim.

Also if you do go tubeless, makes sure the tire you've bought is also tubeless compatible. Might also be a problem running the 700c.

I"m using 700's because the options of width are far greater than 9ers that I've seen. I can't use a 29x2.125 so 700x38 will have the right look and width for what was close to original.

Understood. Post up some pics when you're done, the 9er rims on a Hawthorne have me pretty intrigued. Saw a guy on the MTBR forums who was using an older cantilever frame with 9er wheels and tires as his mountain bike. Pretty rad to see this guy dropping 10 footers on an old frame like that.

Get yourself some presta valve tubes; it's generally easier to fit slightly undersized tubes than slightly oversized ones, but you can go either way. I'd buy something labeled "700x35c"...

FWIW, so-called 29ers are 700c rims with 50mm (2") or greater rubber on them. It's the same rim diameter (aka "bead seat diameter). However, I think you'd run the risk of rolling the bead off the rim if you tried running any rubber considerably smaller than the 38's you've got now. Blunts are pretty wide; i'd stick to wider tires, or at least avoid skinny stuff....

These blunts are 28mm wide, I figured I could run anything down to 28mm? Not that I want to, but that's how I thought it worked. There are blunt 35's which are 35mm, but mine aren't that wide.

Euphman06 said:
These blunts are 28mm wide, I figured I could run anything down to 28mm? Not that I want to, but that's how I thought it worked. There are blunt 35's which are 35mm, but mine aren't that wide.

Yeah, 28s will fit on a 28mm rim, but too easily. If you inflate them all the way, they'll likely pop off. If you underinflate them, you may roll the bead off while turning the bike. Sheldon Brown posted a handy chart, although it doesn't even go up to 28mm wide rims:
[url]http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html#width[/url] I suspect that he's a bit overly cautious (and even says so in the accompanying text), but he's saying the smallest rubber he'd mount on a 25mm wide rim is a 44!

But enough about stuff i've read online. I have seen folks with 1.25" tires on mtbs that they'd converted to commuter bikes, and they had trouble keeping rubber on. Heck, the old-fashioned rim width designation, where you'll see rims listed as "26x2.125", those rimes aren't 2 1/8" wide; rather, that's the minimum recommended size tire! (Obviously, you can get away with a little bit smaller...)

-rob

Latest posts

Back