To skin wall, or not to skin wall

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Open to suggestions here. Found a great deal on a pair of Maxxis DTH in skin wall.
I like the all black look on my Redline, and the Powerblocks are awesome. But I'm an olds cool guy and dig skin walls
20211215_160744.jpg
20211207_161802.jpg

To me it's Powerblocks. The black graphics, hubs, etc, all work out for a modern, aggressive look. In my mind, skinwalls give a more retro vibe. They still look good, but not my style.

*I haven't run skinwalls in about twenty years, I kinda remember sidewall fragility issues, is that a thing still? I had a pair of Specialized Umma Gumma grey skinwalls that I rode until the sides were shredded and tattered

I run skinwall, blackwall and whitewall tires. Some skinwalls have durability issues, to answer that question. In reference to the bike and tires in question, for aesthetics the blackwalls go better IMO. That said, if the skinwalls run better for what you want to do with the bike, run them. Performance always comes first for me on bikes that are meant to go fast on..

I think it simply stems from my child hood.
The bikes at K mart = black walls.
The bmx's at the race track = skin walls.

The durability issues are not there with the Maxxis, as it's a coloured rubber side wall.

I would've titled the thread " For skinwalls or against?" :bigsmile:

But in all honestly I find you just have to play around with tires to find the right look on each bike. On my Cook, the heavy 80s blackwalls were a drag but when I added high end kevlar Maxxis tires, with their big text, it REALLY did not look right. So the vintage blackwalls went back on. I guess that's why it's good to keep a stash of varying rubber around.

20211219_075239.jpg
The power blocks won this round. I worked to black this thing out, then the tan adds an extra colour, Too much going on. So keep it simple with black.
Plus those Tioga's are fast and smooth.

I am getting parts together for an mtb build, so you will see the maxxis again. (That is what I got them for, but had to try them on the redline)

Latest posts

Back