Todays Balloon Tire Haul- A Schwinn and 2 Columbia

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I took a gamble and drove nearly 5 hour round trip based on a very brief phone conversation and a CL ad with no pics to pick up these 3 today. I normally wouldnt drive that far but for the asking price I figured it was worth taking a chance. The Schwinn is a earl 51 model that is in fairly decent shape besides for the peeling paint and actually rode pretty well after airing up the tires. The complete Columbia is a 55 "Campus Queen" model and in decent shape with an awesome fender light. The parts bike is a 48 with a locking truss rod fork and cool reflector on the fender.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

006.jpg

004.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

I can't believe the stuff you find! :shock: Awesome score as usual, Brian :wink: That Schwinn looks like a keeper :D

Tom, they were listed on the North West CT. Craigs List in Litchfield CT which was almost a 5 hour round trip from me so it would have been a heck of a haul from you! There is chrome under the paint on the fenders but Im not sure of its condition and lack the motivation to remove the paint to see. I do love your mens bike...maybe we should find a way for them to live together!? :lol:

That was a Gamble with no pic . I did the same a few years back for a Krate bike . The photo on CL was a baby stroller .But I took the 75 mile ride each way & Came home with a mint apple Krate !
By the way That is a Day Trip for me ...
Bri-in-RI said:
Tom, they were listed on the North West CT. Craigs List in Litchfield CT which was almost a 5 hour round trip from me so it would have been a heck of a haul from you! There is chrome under the paint on the fenders but Im not sure of its condition and lack the motivation to remove the paint to see. I do love your mens bike...maybe we should find a way for them to live together!? :lol:

Great score Brian. I hope the price really made it worth it.

I'm really enjoying Rhode Island right now. I've been here in Newport since the middle of September and will stay till the end of the month.

Awesome score! Worth the drive in my opinion. Even the parts bike is cool! Love the reflector & chainguard! Might be interested in the reflector if you decide to part with it.

Im envious that u live where u can find bikes like that
hard to find anything like that in S.C.

dirtytoes said:

They aren't the easiest to find around here either. There is lots of competition from flippers and collectors...as well as fellow RRB members :mrgreen:
I spend tons of time on CL searching and do a ton of networking at various shows and swaps plus hand out tons of my cards to anyone who will take one. Even with all of that nice old bikes are not to easy to come buy but every now and then I get lucky. 8)

What are you talking about ?? :D :lol: :mrgreen: Im sorry Bri I couldn't resist ..
9-22-10037.jpg

0044.jpg

0036.jpg

Bri-in-RI said:
dirtytoes said:

They aren't the easiest to find around here either. There is lots of competition from flippers and collectors...as well as fellow RRB members :mrgreen:
I spend tons of time on CL searching and do a ton of networking at various shows and swaps plus hand out tons of my cards to anyone who will take one. Even with all of that nice old bikes are not to easy to come buy but every now and then I get lucky. 8)

tanksalot said:
What are you talking about ?? :D :lol: :mrgreen: Im sorry Bri I couldn't resist ..
9-22-10037.jpg

0044.jpg

0036.jpg

Bri-in-RI said:
dirtytoes said:

Tanks, what's that second Motobike in second picture. Liking that!!

1918 Ranger

Latest posts

Back