Tools of the trade

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I am just starting out ratting bikes, what tools or tools can you not be without?

MrG

standard and phillips head screwdrivers, channel locks, adjustable wrench, hammer,vice,socket set.
Most everything can be found at flea markets,garage sales and re-sale shops.

The adjustable should open 1 3/8" so you can pull sprockets off of 1-piece cranks. A couple of flat wrenches to adjust/tighten axle bearings, and a chain tool. If you're doing 3-piece crank bikes, a crank puller is helpful.

Dont forger vice grips for the bolts and nuts that strip. Get a few sizes. Eventually you will need them. Get a good set of wire cutters too. I bought the $39 dollar pair from matco and have yet to sharpen them . They have putlasted a lot of cheap pairs pkus they have a warranty. Name brand tools are worth the investment.

sand paper, file, big hammer, PB Blaster, Simple Green, bigger hammer, wire wheel attachment for your drill (one brass, one steel), steel wool, mineral spirits, paint thinner, a really big hammer.

Guess I need a hammer :)

Got one on the those tri allen keys but its a pain in tight spaces, may look for a t bar type....

Got a pipe wrench handy for loosening grips on bars.....

Got tyre levers from kitchen drawer lol

MrG

the allen key set that is ball shaped at one end is a must for the tight spaces

depends on if youre going to scratch build,cut up,rework, or just bolt & unbolt......
basics would be philips and flat head screwdrivers,socket set(standard and metric),chain breaker,penetrating oil,tire gauge, & big crescent wrench

Gotta have a crank puller on three piece. $10 or so individually. I bought a basic bike tool kit as I have other bikes that where a pipe wrench doesn't work.

I have this and it works pretty good. http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/14585- ... -Tools.htm

I upgraded the chain tool and I need to get a better headset wrench. The cone wrenches are nice when you have a hub that has locknuts on the cones.

Band-aids.........Lots of em.

One of these can be real handy...

miller.jpg

brentville said:
What's in Elvis's bike build off tool kit:

Wrenches
Pliers
Big f'ing hammer
Ar-15 semi automatic

Be careful playing shoot em up and please move the fenders away from the house before you shoot them!

hope that helps!

Easy E

Latest posts

Back