Total Amateur Living in Florida

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All!

When I was a little girl (really not so girly), I lived down the street from a bike shop. That was over twenty years ago and I just recently purchased my first bike! It's a beach cruiser, rusty and all, but it rides. I got it from a local store in Sarasota called Greenies for $50. I'd love to spruce it up a bit... actually, I'd love to totally go all out with it.

I will try and post a pic of it later in the day. I'd like your thoughts on how to go about doing it. I have no money, no job, so I know it won't happen right away. But if I can gather some advice, cuz it's free lol, then bring it on.

The frame has a sticker that shows the Huffy warranty, so should I assume that this bike is a Huffy? And how do I find out what year made?

I want to paint it. I am experienced with the airbrush, so most likely I'll go that route. But I'm not at all experienced with the mechanics and the customization skills required to really get it looking how I see it in my head.

I know I will need new parts, the chain is a rusty mess. The frame is slightly rusted too but not in a good way. It looks as though it's been painted by the previous owner. But I really like chubbycruisers parts, ie. handle bars, forks, seats, and a few accessories. But are there better shops than this? Cheap is best but I also would prefer variety, as in pedals, fenders, the cool lights some of you have on your handle bars.

I know it may be annoying to answer so many questions you've probably already answered numerous times, but I would greatly appreciate it. This site is awesome, I've never seen so many bicycle pictures! I really would like to be some of you.

Thanks, and I will get the pic up asap.

Welcome from Massachusetts! :D

If you want free or cheaper.....
Some of the coolest finds have been trash day curbside scavenges. The price is right and ya never know what you're
gonna find. Junk bikes can be a great parts source. At least in my experiences they have been :wink:

:mrgreen:

Welcome!

Your bike is probably a 26" bike, so you'll have plenty of choice on tires and things, as it is fairly common. And found on trashday along the curb many times. A junker can give you lots of useable parts. I've picked up old beach cruisers on CL for 25-30 bucks, most parts on those are interchangeable, and some of those bikes have good parts, just flat tires.
Look for a serial number, a Huffy usually has an H followed by numbers. A pic will be the best way to guess the year.
If it rides now, the chain may only need cleaned up with a wire brush and a little chain lube.

You'll have to find a place to store all your bikes.

check e-bay too for some cool add on parts. Make it what you want! :wink: oh and welcome to the madnesss

Welcome, there are plenty of pics and data on this site. Don't feel bad about asking questions of us. Most everyone here is glad to help you. A lot of us just like to feel useful. 8)

Latest posts

Back