Traded Good Vibrations for Spaceliner

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoothgeye

I build stuff.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I got a call earlier in the week. A church member spotted some bikes by the road, so I went to check on them. They were locked to an old motorcycle, so not trash, nothing special, just an old cantilever frame, but then I looked again, nope, a Spaceliner with the rat trap fork. That had me interested, so I knocked on the door and inquired.

The lady thought I was asking about the motorcycle and promptly told me her husband was keeping it. Then she seemed surprised when I was talking about the bikes. She gave me her husband's number and I called and left a message and called back today.

He referred to this bike as his "Diesel Bike" haha. Long story about wanting it nice, but he has a bad knee and he went on. We talked about trades and I mentioned all the kids bikes I have (he has kids) and he said something about a bike for his wife, so I told him about a USA Huffy Good Vibrations I had. The deal was made over the phone.

The Huffy was a freebie I got, I did pull the fenders and put full foam on the handlebars for that "beach cruiser" look. So I had about $10 in the bike, it was very clean.

So I went and made the trade, he wasn't there, but his wife and son approved. I gave them the fenders with it in case they wanted them back on, plus, that's another set of fenders out of my way.

The Spaceliner... not much original, lots of surface rust, and a crap rattle can job. The tires look bad, but hold air. Not sure about that rat trap, the fork looks a little bent, but I couldn't get it to "spring." The rear hub is a Bendix red band (what does that mean?).

Anyway, did I make a good trade?

trade_zpsd26da209.jpg

Yea you did good!,the steertube looks bent but that can be fixed,I think there's a post under how to about how to fix that,any rat trap I ever had didn't seem to "spring" much if any but they look good!

If the rear hub is a single red band then it is a regular single speed Bendix coaster brake,3 red bands means it's a 2 speed kickback hub (pedal backwards slightly to shift gears)

Do you even have to ask if it was a good trade!!!!?????

It was an awesome trade in my book!!!

Have fun with the Spaceliner. I think it's one of the coolest and most versatile frames ever!

BRAVO!!!

I'm not too concerned with fixing the fork, as long as I can adapt the rat trap to any of my other forks I'll be fine.

check the brakearm... mine says Bendix Automatic on it

nice trade indeed..

and I've always wondered if the springers on these aren't for anything but looks..

Gold Street Customs said:
Score!!!! as far as springing the springer they are pretty solid.

The bike is rideable, and I rode it and put weight over the front... nothing. So I got off and put all my 200 pounds over the handlebars and pushed down... nothing but give in the tire. I'm thinking the guy who "restored" this bike cranked down all the bolts tight not really understanding what the front end was supposed to do.

a huge + 2

I think those springers freeze up pretty easily. I had one that I disassembled, lubed, and put back together, and it works great.

Rockit! said:
I think those springers freeze up pretty easily. I had one that I disassembled, lubed, and put back together, and it works great.

I will make it work, I think it's combination of overtightened bolts and rust.

Latest posts

Back